Thread: Hinchinbrook help

Blog Entries

Hinchinbrook help

gday ausfishers

I have the chance, at very short notice, to get away for a week and it's been decided we will hit Hinchinbrook island

anyone out there happy to pass on some spots such as creek etc? We have never been there so some accurate directions and spots are appreciated

happy for a PM if you don't want to share in public

thanks all in advance

Re: Hinchinbrook help

Quote Originally Posted by Funchy View Post
    gday ausfishers

I have the chance, at very short notice, to get away for a week and it's been decided we will hit Hinchinbrook island

anyone out there happy to pass on some spots such as creek etc? We have never been there so some accurate directions and spots are appreciated

happy for a PM if you don't want to share in public

thanks all in advance
    Hi Funchy

How long are you up there for and which end (Cardwell or Lucinda) - it's a big stretch of water & so many options

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Hi Funchy

How long are you up there for and which end (Cardwell or Lucinda) - it's a big stretch of water & so many options

Chris
    Gday Chris
    we are up there for 7 days. Plans a bit fluid but was planning hitting the northern end

any info greatly appreciated

Gday Chris
    we are up there for 7 days. Plans a bit fluid but was planning hitting the northern end

any info greatly appreciated
    Mate - I've probably spend 30 days fishing Hinchinbrook over the years & I still cant get my head around the place .... but I'll share what I can

On the north side - Hecate Pt ( opposite the marina) is hard to beat around the top of the tide (Barra hotspot) ...... it's also nice & close

Missionary bay is a vast area - & the 9 creeks ( only 1-8) are fishable can turn it on ( I like 5 & 6) . The problem is the tides as you need to work out the channels that run into the creeks ( cutting corners on a falling tide is a big no no) . If weather allows fishing the creek channels in the bay can be really good along with fishing the rocks between Creek 9 & Hecate Pt ( about half way) The last trip we had a ball casting lures for barra.
    The Islands ( Gould / Garden etc) have some interesting fishing at times .

Heading down the channel ..... the mainland creeks (barra & jacks - bream , flatty) & flats ( barra Trevs ... & others) can fish well ..... On the island side - Deluge Inlet (best from Lucinda ) is interesting ( around the mouth at the turn of the tide - Salmon / Barra ) - the last time I was there (Lucinda) we did pretty well on the jacks in the creek on the snags - we also got some good crab & barra . You can easily spend a day in Deluge.

I haven't spend too much time in the middle sections - but you can launch a Fishers Creek (halfway) but you need half tide - from there you get easy access to the middle sections.

Lucinda end gives you good fishing in the two mainland rivers (Herbert & Seymour) ..... but it depends on salinity levels..... These two can be good for jacks & barra + the bread & butter species . You also have access to the Sugar loader & Palm Islands . We are spending a few days there in November & will give these a good crack .

In all honesty though - Hinchinbrook is a tough gig but it can be rewarding if you put in the effort. ( I'm still waiting on the big reward ) but it is certainly a fascinating place with lots to see & experience ..... I'm sure you will enjoy it ( weather permitting)

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Mate - I've probably spend 30 days fishing Hinchinbrook over the years & I still cant get my head around the place .....
    Cheers Chris appreciate you taking the time to put that together

We look like we will settle on making Garden Island our base camp and work our way outwards from there.

Cheers Chris appreciate you taking the time to put that together

We look like we will settle on making Garden Island our base camp and work our way outwards from there.
    lovely spot that

we parked the houseboat at the back of the sandspit a few years back ....... fished some live baits of a night & hooked some unstoppables (on our gear) ..... Mackerel & Sharks . We ended up having a 3m+ tiger shark jumping around the boat for around an hour trying to dislodge a hook (amazing sight). Because it's in the main tidal flow its like a highway for all sorts of species .

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO