Thread: Water in diesel after 1770

Water in diesel after 1770

Today the warning light came on my Patrol GU TD42 about water in the fuel. The truck was fully serviced before the Agnes Waters trip, and the last place I filled up was at Agnes. I've never had water in fuel before, even after always draining the sub tank into the main tank. I can't blame Agnes without proof, just joining the dots...

Has anyone else had this after the M&G? I'd suggest others that went to the M&G keep an eye on their trucks.

Re: Water in diesel after 1770

Have you checked that there is actually water in the fuel? 'cause it might be a sensor ghost. My jeep had a similar issue for the past several months it would switch on occasionally, but would disappear after I switched off the engine and restarted it, then reappear some time later, lately it would switch on within 15 minutes of driving every day.

I may have solved my problem, it may be the connector that connects the wires to the fuel filter, I disconnected it and reconnected it a couple of times and now the the light hasn't reappeared, could have been a bit of crud hindering the connection or it was just vibrating itself loose. Still early days yet to know for sure as I only did it this morning, but so far it seems to be working as it should.

It may be worth a try on your vehicle, it only took about 5 minutes to do on mine.

Cheers

Ed.

Quote Originally Posted by EdBerg View Post
    Have you checked that there is actually water in the fuel? 'cause it might be a sensor ghost. My jeep had a similar issue for the past several months it would switch on occasionally, but would disappear after I switched off the engine and restarted it, then reappear some time later, lately it would switch on within 15 minutes of driving every day.

I may have solved my problem, it may be the connector that connects the wires to the fuel filter, I disconnected it and reconnected it a couple of times and now the the light hasn't reappeared, could have been a bit of crud hindering the connection or it was just vibrating itself loose. Still early days yet to know for sure as I only did it this morning, but so far it seems to be working as it should.

It may be worth a try on your vehicle, it only took about 5 minutes to do on mine.

Cheers

Ed.
    Definitely water in the fuel. However I really do appreciate your advice.

Before I started this thread I did:

- Drained fuel filter from water drain plug, got about 200ml of water out
    - Replaced fuel filter
    - Cleaned the float switch

The water in fuel light has been off ever since. There was also a bunch of gunk in the fuel filter, which luckily it caught.

This can't rule out water in my tanks, but I never run my primary dry, only my sub tank, which you can't avoid in these Patrols.

Better get this into your tank

go the shock treatment

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/Pro...r-275mL/120027
    Cheers

Steven

That is a lot of water, looks like yours was a genuine problem. I am in the process of getting another diesel Jeep this week and am thinking about installing another fuel filter which has a clear water bowl at the bottom for a quick easy check of fuel problems. My only filter is a sealed can which would need to be drained and then the air bled just to see if there is a problem with the fuel or not.

Quote Originally Posted by EdBerg View Post
    That is a lot of water, looks like yours was a genuine problem. I am in the process of getting another diesel Jeep this week and am thinking about installing another fuel filter which has a clear water bowl at the bottom for a quick easy check of fuel problems. My only filter is a sealed can which would need to be drained and then the air bled just to see if there is a problem with the fuel or not.
    Have to do your research before doing the prefilter idea. My patrol will starve for fuel running one unless I run an electric fuel pump. The ip just cant keep up and it will wear prematurely. Speically running 15psi and fueled up.

I have herd of folks replacing the factory filter with a glass bowl one. There are adapter kits available. However in my research these filters dont allow enough flow. Ive herd the patrols at least will circulate 1 tank every 2 hours. Mine is 2002 with a mechanical ip, no ecu black magic.

Thanks for the tip, I haven't got it yet so barring any problems with the leasing paperwork, after I get delivery of it I will see what needs to be done or has been done to it. But hey, at least I can say honestly say
    "My wife bought a Jeep" , but I get to drive it. It's the Overland model so it comes with all the bells and whistles.

It is a common problem if you do not use the sub tank. Some people do not use them around town and they sweat a lot of moister.
    When they go on a long trip fill them and this is what happens. I was an RACQ serviceman for 12 years and come across this a few times.
    So the trick with diesels is try and keep all your tanks full and this will lessen the chance of any water in the fuel.

Not good Julian, I filled there many times and never had an issue. That servo turns over it's tanks very regularly due to high traffic. That is not to say you didn't get it from there.

As my Collie is a Commonrail I use a pre-filter system :- http://www.dieselcare.com.au/service...PgExoC6njw_wcB

The filter is a 2 micron count, so in all I have 2 standard filters ( 10 mircons each ) and the pre-filter with glass bowl.

Probably best to drain it all out, clean and keep an eye on things.

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Looks like I was wrong, it appears that playing around with the connector didn't fix it so have ordered up a new filter.