Thread: Motor for a 440 explorer trophy/449 stacer prolline angler

Motor for a 440 explorer trophy/449 stacer prolline angler

Hi Guys
    Need some advice.
    I am getting a Quintrex 440 explorer trophy or Stacer 449 proline angler (same boat). 70L under floor fuel tank and live fish tank in the front casting deck. Carry 3 people usually.
    Putting either a 50hp or 60hp tiller steer 4 stroke on the back. Basically I do not want to over power the boat as it will troll too fast at idle speed. I am not interested in top speed just that it will get up on the plane with a load.
    Has anyone bought one of the above boats and what motor is on it and how did it go and what would you recommend.
    Thanks
    Adam

Re: Motor for a 440 explorer trophy/449 stacer prolline angler

Suzuki motors have a trolling button on there motors so as you can slightly adjust the rpm at idle by like 100rpm at a time. Not sure in other brands but they might do it as well?

Sounds like a Mercury Command Thrust would do what your asking very well. I'm waiting to pick up my 440 renegade with a 60hp Merc CT, I was in a similar mind set, I wanted to be able to load up the boat without the engine struggling. It'll also come in very handy for pullig my kids around in a ski tube ect.

Always use a troll easy they work well for when you wish to troll dead slow.
    http://www.solas.com.au/shop-page/troll-easy/
    Cheers
    Ray

I had a 60hp Yamaha tiller steer on a Brooker 5m top end type tinny. The 60hp was great at top speed and getting onto the plane but was too fast for trolling ( in freshwater dams ) it was still to fast even after setting the troll adjustment on the tiller arm. In my opinion I would go the 60hp and get an electric for your trolling that's if you are doing your trolling in freshwater.

I was looking at the motors (Suzuki, Merc and Yamaha) recently at the boat show and most 50's and 60's no longer come with a prop.

This is good because the dealer can try props different pitches to get the best performance.

I reckon you should have a talk to your dealer and tell them what you're after.

You might be able to get a 60 with a smaller pitch so that you get a good hole shot and slow trolling speeds but you loose some top end.

Quote Originally Posted by VictorOscar View Post
    I was looking at the motors (Suzuki, Merc and Yamaha) recently at the boat show and most 50's and 60's no longer come with a prop.

This is good because the dealer can try props different pitches to get the best performance.

I reckon you should have a talk to your dealer and tell them what you're after.

You might be able to get a 60 with a smaller pitch so that you get a good hole shot and slow trolling speeds but you loose some top end.
    Totally agree. You can always find a way to make a boat go slower. Pretty difficult to get one to go faster if it's under powered.

I was deciding between a Honda 50hp weight 98kg, or a Mercury 60hp weight 112kg (mercury, Yamaha, Suzuki 50hp weigh the same as their 60hp so may as well go the 60hp).
    If the Honda 50hp would be plenty then it will save 14kg on the transom. This would be great.
    If the Honda 50hp is not enough then a 60hp mercury will be the motor. I will put an 80lb motorguide saltwater GPS electric on it for trolling etc.
    If anyone runs a 50hp I would love to hear from you.

Honda 60 110KG and lean burn technology others???
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech