Thread: diamond scale mullet

diamond scale mullet

Hi aim just wondering if anyone can give me any tips on rigs and types of bait to catch diamond scale mullet .Ive read that they are excellent eating and they look like they would give a good fight on light gear, never seen anyone fishing for them though

Re: diamond scale mullet

Only way i am aware of would be feed them up on bread then a shoot a bread imitation fly on a small hook with a light fluoro-carbon leader. Or a spear.

Cast net 😆 we used to throw lots of breadcrumbs etc out as burley, have a half loaf of bread inside a loop of elastic from which we had suspended several size 8 hooks with just a bit of dough on them. Probably a more technical method these days.

Thanks for your replies. Sounds like bread is the go for bait , I will give it a try today. What about eating quality did you guys try them , what did you think

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    Cast net  we used to throw lots of breadcrumbs etc out as burley, have a half loaf of bread inside a loop of elastic from which we had suspended several size 8 hooks with just a bit of dough on them. Probably a more technical method these days.
    Yes, this is how we used to catch them - except, I think you meant that you use a half a slice of bread inside the loop of elastic, not half a loaf!

To explain it a bit further, we made a loop of hat elastic that was about 40mm diameter. Tied to that were 3 or 4 short lengths (maybe 100mm) of light mono with fly hooks attached. We put small tufts of cotton wool in the flie hooks to imitate little pieces of bread.

Tie the elastic onto main line. Stretch open the elastic and insert a folded piece of bread. Cast out to the area where youve burleyed the mullet up with bread. Mullet attack bread and sooner or later take one of the flies. Action!
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

We used to burley them up with bran mixed with water to make a clump you can take a little bit at a time and flick in to get them biting, then a very small hook under a float and squeeze a bit of fresh bread onto hook..

Bread or fly or bread fly Mark! Remember there is a 30cm min size for keeping diamondscale mullet and sea mullet