Thread: Rod Reel Combo for 50-100+mts

Rod Reel Combo for 50-100+mts

Good Morning folks - back at the desk after another weekend involving fish and filleting wounds
    Just starting to fish more in the 50-100m range for bottom fish and have found a few little lumps that seem to be consistently holding kings and jew. I have put a new minn kota on with spot lock and running a Garmin7410. Loving the whole show. what I am wanting (not needing) is a new combo - bit stronger, lighter for dropping jigs and paternoster rigs. The size of fish we have been stopping and landing have been around the 15-18kg but we have missed our share as well.
    Thinking of a saragosa 10000 with 50lb-70lb but not sure of what rod to team it up with. Love the look of some of the new 7ft+ jigging rods but don't know whether they would match well. Looked at a shimano twin power but could not go the $$ and the saragosa had the line capacity and similar drag stats for less than half the cost - heavier tho

Throw some options and figures - havn't confirmed a budget yet - if the combo is exactly what I'm chasing and suitable for task then

Look forward to ideas / options.
    Thanks heaps in advance.
    Troy

Re: Rod Reel Combo for 50-100+mts

T-curve deep jig with 20,000 gossa

Thanks Crunchy - those 20000s have huge line capacity - what was your reasoning for going 20000 rather than the 10k - extra 5kg in drag but about 150g heavier?

Large line capacity, might be needed for your potential100M depth. I got one on a 10-15Kg t-curve and it makes short work of even the toughest fish, not exactly the most sporting outfit but sometimes you just want to land a feed. Some people think the Gossa's are too heavy but unless you got girly arms shouldn't be an issue .

I love the gossa's, I have a 10000, 18000 and a 25000 and can't speak highly enough of them. These reels only get limited use throughout the year so I just couldn't bring myself to spend anymore money than these. I run the 18000 on a pe2-5 and the 25000 on a pe 3-8, both rods are Wilson Venom deep jig Live Fibre's. The 10000 gossa is also a great reel that I run on a 10-15kg T-curve in the boat and if fishing off the beach, I'll stick it on a beach rod, very versitile reel with 40lb braid.

In terms of Spin: I run an 8000 Shimano Stradic FJ with a Daiwa Saltist Hyper 531-200s (5'3, PE 3-4) and 50lbs Sufix 832 in those sort of depths and haven't yet needed any more line capacity than what's fully loaded. Just as you said I've struggled to turn some epic fish like Dogtooth and dino trouts on jig so I went ahead and invested in a 10000 Saragosa SW with a Daiwa Demon Blood 56-3/5 (5'6, PE 3-5) and 65lbs Daiwa J-braid x8 - Will hopefully be blooded on Wednesday. I have two similar combos in overhead which I prefer to jig with, but these spin rods can do it all as well.

Thanks for all the input - should be able to hash together a couple of good outfits out of that info!
    Much appreciated all.
    Troy

I have a 10000 Saragosa matched with a samurai reaction jig10 50-80lb.

It turns 15kg ajs with ease and I usually back off the drag for a bit of sport with the smaller fish under 10kg.

I have jigged in water up to 180m no drama.

You would be happy with this outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    Large line capacity, might be needed for your potential100M depth. I got one on a 10-15Kg t-curve and it makes short work of even the toughest fish, not exactly the most sporting outfit but sometimes you just want to land a feed. Some people think the Gossa's are too heavy but unless you got girly arms shouldn't be an issue .
    Funny you should say that Crunchy, as Moejoes was wondering how'd you manage with your girly arms

What's he been saying mate? He better watch himself.....or I'll tackle one of his legs

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    What's he been saying mate? He better watch himself.....or I'll tackle one of his legs
    You'd struggle getting those girly arms around 2 of them I reckon