Thread: About to service my Stern Drive - Any tips?

About to service my Stern Drive - Any tips?

So, summer is coming and I am about to get the Sea Ray ready for the season. I have purchased a service kit for the Stern Drive including new rams, bellows gaskets etc.

However, I am thinking I should probably pull the bearing if I have the drive off, but not sure how to get it out or in. Watched a couple of youtube vids, and it looks like I need some specialty tools?? Anyone done this before?

Any tips - I am listening!!

Cheers
    John

Re: About to service my Stern Drive - Any tips?

Assuming a Mercruiser setup.

With the engine in gear and running, steer through full lock to lock. If you hear click noises like a front wheel drive with shot universal joints then the gimbal bearing may be shot.

If you remove the drive unit then stick your first 2 fingers into the gimbal bearing and feel if the bearing is smooth or notchy.

You need a 3 leg puller to remove the bearing. Genuine bearing about $150. Bearing shop, about $50.

New trim rams are not a service item!!

Thanks BM. I will do the motor test and let you know.

Re the Rams - No there are not. But the previous owner of the boat did not look after it, and I could have just done the seals, but I am replacing the entire Trim System - Rams and all.

Yes - it's a Mercruiser. If that's the cost of the bearing, I think I will be happy to just to replace it.

The puller - Like this one?? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/3-JAW-Leg...35.m2548.l4275

Yep that should do the trick. It's not hard to pull the bearing out.

Ausfish Gold Member ThePinkPanther's Avatar

Make sure the bellows don't have a crack in them, usually along the seam, can be damn hard to see but will open up enough to let the old H2O in......

Sent from my iPad using Ausfish mobile app

Thanks man. All the bellows are being replaced.