Thread: Yammy fuel gauge.

Yammy fuel gauge.

Hi to all those technically advanced geniuses out there,
    Re a Yamaha 6Y8 multifunction meter (square).
    Please ---if I've lost you, stick around for a while.
    Having had to remove the deck and fuel tank because of a heap of rotten fuel (rusty water), flush and drain the tank, which involved turning upside down to drain, and subsequent replacement of the tank, and reconnection of fuel sender, upon refilling the 200 litre plastic tank---made in Rhode Island USA---I noticed the fuel remaining bars on the meter went through the preliminary process of going to full, then instead of remaining there, read 5/8 full. (Bars on the side of the gauge).
    Did a trip out to the 50's and the gauge went to zero after a short time, and then ceased functioning. Every other function of the gauge is OK, including fuel used, (83.5 litres for the trip) , fuel flow, speed etc.
    I cleaned and greased the sender connections upon re-installation.
    Possibilities for consideration---
    Has the turning of the tank upside down damaged the sender?
    Has the water or rubbish in the tank damaged the sender.
    Is the sender capable of being metered for resistance to prove operational ability, and are the resistance figures available.
    Any ideas and possible solutions would be appreciated.
    The sender is not capable of being removed, as it is riveted in, and an integral part of the tank---also very difficult to get at.
    I only ask the most difficult questions.
    Many thanks to whoever gets back to me.
    Cav(J.C.)

Re: Yammy fuel gauge.

%99 probability the sender is the issue
    Garry

Retired Honda Master Tech

I have the same issue and my mechanic gave exactly the same advice as Spaniard King, at the end of the day I don't look at the bars but depend on the fuel gauge as it works off a flow meter, not sure what yammy call it as can't get of the couch.

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    I have the same issue and my mechanic gave exactly the same advice as Spaniard King, at the end of the day I don't look at the bars but depend on the fuel gauge as it works off a flow meter, not sure what yammy call it as can't get of the couch.

Thanks dignity. I would still like to get some resistance figures on the sender if any are available.
    J.C.

Cav,
    Recently had a similar issue with mine, erratic bar movements on the gauge. I took the sender (potentiometer/float mechanism) out of the tank and took it to my auto elec., he stripped it, cleaned corrosion off it (14 yrs old and 1400 hrs of fuel through it) and put it back together then bench tested it assuring me that it should read accurately. After reinstalling it I'm still getting some erratic readings. I'll be keen to read the outcome. I've never 'absolutely' trusted these gauges anyway, for my purposes it's only an indication of fuel use but still nice to have some idea. I can't see why you couldn't have the sender tested if you can get at it to manually move the float.

Quote Originally Posted by fishtragic View Post
    Cav,
    Recently had a similar issue with mine, erratic bar movements on the gauge. I took the sender (potentiometer/float mechanism) out of the tank and took it to my auto elec., he stripped it, cleaned corrosion off it (14 yrs old and 1400 hrs of fuel through it) and put it back together then bench tested it assuring me that it should read accurately. After reinstalling it I'm still getting some erratic readings. I'll be keen to read the outcome. I've never 'absolutely' trusted these gauges anyway, for my purposes it's only an indication of fuel use but still nice to have some idea. I can't see why you couldn't have the sender tested if you can get at it to manually move the float.
    Hi,
    Thanks for responding. Not possible to remove it, as it is an integral part of the tank----riveted in to a plastic tank.
    Cav(J.C.)

Surely it's possible to remove the sender. At worst, you drill the rivets out and re-rivet a new one in?

The only issue I've ever had with my boat was the sender which came with it. My mechanic put one of these (or very similar) which made all the difference
    https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_i...AbsolutePage=1

There is a ball float inside it and with my old one, the ball either got stuck or fell out. I'm guessing that if you have something similar, the ball might not be able to float to the top of the tube. Something could be preventing it (muck, dirt etc).