Thread: heavy prawn cast net - but no can throw.

heavy prawn cast net - but no can throw.

decided to lash out and buy a 12 ft custom made cast net from woodgate -nice looking net with a gal chain bottom and weighs almost 5.5 kg dry, but after many different utube casting methods and instructions i still can't throw the damn thing properly ,not anyway like my old 8 ft holey one ,its just too heavy for one handed casting and have looked at many methods where i can split the weight between both hands also with limited success.i am just wondering if i reduce the weight by removing every 3 rd or 4th link of chain to lighten the net (where it doesen't attach to the net ) might make it more cast-able ,it would also make it easier to carry around when searching for the fish or prawns .
    anyone think this would work?

Re: heavy prawn cast net - but no can throw.

Give the net maker a call. They should be the ones that know their nets best.

i did originally Scottar ,in fact asked for a demo when i was buying it , his throw was just as bad cause his back was stuffed from working on the trawlers hence why he was making and repairing nets now .

Not so much the technique but whether the net will still function with the links removed

Try bundleing up the net shorter if you know what i mean,i had the same trouble when i bought a 4.5 kg 12ft top pocket.

Here's the one i use for the big nets

1: tie rope to something. This one tends to get tangled if attached to wrist.
    2: throw top of net over your right shoulder, rope well behind you
    3: bend down and push the slack net in front of you back over your shoulder, then lock the net into your shoulder with your chin.
    4: with the chain now dangling on the ground, simply grab the net just above the chain to split it into two distinct bundles.
    5: you should now have two separate piles of chain on the ground- one on the right, one on the left, with two 'strands' of chain in between these piles- one strand closest to you, one further away.
    6: grab with each of your hands, at about a shoulder width apart, a piece of the chain strand closest to you with your pinkies, or three back fingers so that your thumb and forefinger are still free.
    7: now simply, whilst retaining hold of that strand of chain and making sure the net is still clamped into your shoulder, grab the netting above each pile of chain with your thumb and forefinger. Lift it all up and you're ready to throw.

8: to throw, bring the loaded net back past your left side, then rotate around and release the net from your shoulder, and your thumb and forefinger hold only. It's vital that you keep holding on to the line of chain in your pinkies here
    9: you'll see that when you do this, the whole front of the net goes shooting forward while it opens up due to the back being held by your pinkies. You'll get a few squares at first- the more rotation you have, the more circular the throw will become.

it takes a while to write out the process, but with practice that should take you under thirty seconds.

got a pm from Bazza about the Frandon style which i been trying this morning , i find it guite funny how simple things for some are guite difficult for others as with this method i cant seem to get the bottom chain to stay on my shoulder, either it rolls off or in trying to keep it there by lifting my elbow ,the bottom of the net bunches up so i reverted back to the 3 part method with some success (still not quite like circle in the Frandon(gonna have to try harder with this style ))what am fast realising that a key to most of these methods is to hold on to the chain until the very last moment (as mentioned by phantom)if i dont want to end up with a half circle or less .

Hi mate if your down the gold coast way southport area i would be happy to show teach you 3 different ways to throw your 12ft net. I have tought many people including quite a few small women to throw 12 ft nets. One thing i have learned over many years is what works for some is very difficult for others hence why i have 3 methods that i show people to find whats easiest for them. I don't think i have ever seen anyone buy a brand new 12 ft net that has never had one and throw full circles straight up it does require a bit of practice. I also make custom nets and some definitely open a lot easier then others depending on how they are made well thats my op anyway. cheers

Hi, where are you located. Been making nets for along time, so may be able to assist. I do three different sizes/spreads in 3mm gal, with the three nets all being 12ft drop ( not all 12 foot nets are the same). I prefer to get people to throw one first when possible to give them the idea of what would suit them, subject to their ability. Not trying to sell you one. Just would be happy to help. I throw the triple load, as I find its a good method for 8-10kg nets. I don't have any other methods. I'm located Northside

thanks Whoofa,i am in Hervey bay but will be in touch when i come down that way ,i was inclined to blame the net ,just like i was blaming my fly rod for my crappy casts until after recently having a fly casting lesson ,the operator was found to be more at fault then the equipment .

Don't lighten the net. Try the shrimpers method. Very easy. I hold the chain in my pinky fingers only and hang onto that bit till the end. Also remember to tie your rope off somewhere. I struggled with my 12 ft chain net till I was taught this method. Once I had it down pat I experimented with the triple load and then the Frandon. The Frandon is the best but this shrimpers method is a good stepping stone.

sure on a clean beach etc mate but in a boat or a mangrove root mud bank i think it would get snagged everywhere, have been trying the triple load method and so far seems to be the most suitable for walking and fish searching with the net primed and ready to throw , in saying that when it comes to real time and the mullet are finally cruising past i bet i throw a patsy .

Quote Originally Posted by sjp2 View Post
    sure on a clean beach etc mate but in a boat or a mangrove root mud bank i think it would get snagged everywhere, have been trying the triple load method and so far seems to be the most suitable for walking and fish searching with the net primed and ready to throw , in saying that when it comes to real time and the mullet are finally cruising past i bet i throw a patsy .
    easy out of a boat. Heaps of prawners in Moreton bay throw that method

Yep. That shrimpers method in the video above is what I was trying to describe. Dead easy, but agree that the 'Frandon' style is superior once you get it down pat- a bit less consistent to start off with though.