Thread: Camping out of boat in sandy straights QLD

Camping out of boat in sandy straights QLD

Hi mob. Just a question I'm planning on doing a 3 day fishing trip in the sandy straights between fraser island and the mainland. I want to camp out of the boat on shore somewhere what options do i have?. And where to launch?

Re: Camping out of boat in sandy straights QLD

Logging Ramp at Kauri has basic camping, Black Swan/Butha had some sites but limited by tides,

Mate there r plenty of areas that u can moor out of the wind. The boat ramp at Carlo Point would be one of the safest to leave your car and trailer. Just ensure u have your trailer locked.

Take lots of Bushmans spray, and only use a swag or tent that has midgie proof window mesh. I like River Heads for launching, left my car there overnight many a time with no probs.

Did I mention the midgies?
    Fishing- It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit.

Camp in the boat out in a bit of breeze helps keep you away from the sandflies a bit. You will get eaten alive camping on the land.

I wouldn't try sleeping up the Mary river unless you are Mick Dundee.

Quote Originally Posted by perko View Post
    Camp in the boat out in a bit of breeze helps keep you away from the sandflies a bit. You will get eaten alive camping on the land.
    Its not called "The Great Sandfly Straits" for nuthin ya know!

Watch the tide runs there, many boats slide their anchor when it is running hard.

Many also think that their crab pots were stolen

Garry's anchorage is about the best place to run a small boat up on the sand to overnight.

Next one up would be Yankee Jack creek but not so protected.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Yankee jack's go slow zone annoys me ,so much to explore but oh so slowly ,but i must put it down for a overnighter if its name (Jacks ) is anything to go by.

Thanks for the info guys. I'm still looking into it hopefully doing a trip in the next month or 2.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Ausfish Platinum Member gr hilly's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Don't forget the Bushman's spray your self inside your tent or swag.

You guys are scaring me off with all the sandfly talk ☺

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Secret Turkey Beach sandfly repellent.

TB being the world capital of sand flies, this brew is well tested and proven, but hasn't got the nasty chemicals in it that bushman etc have. It also soothes bites.

1/3 each: Dettol, baby oil, and metho

Add mix to a spray bottle, shake well, apply liberally. A good coating is required.

I would take at least a 750ml bottle.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

its not that bad...ok they are bad...i use a product called bug guard from AVON....its a sun block, bug guard and moistener all in one...i know sounds a bit soft...but i swear by it, tried it all. including home brew...this is best. plenty places to launch from, plenty places to camp up, remember big tides so what is 3m on way in is .2 on way out...lots sand, have couple spots i like for camp over, can go a shore for fire if required....2 -3 mozzie coils in boat at night help. for more info pm.
    Cheers
    Cheers,
    Chong