Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardest Wearing Wax

Hardest Wearing Wax

Hello all. I am nearing the end of my cat trailer refurbishment and will post some pics soon. I built myself a set of boat stands and put the Kevlacat on them while I worked on the trailer. I figured I'd cut and polish the tunnel and undersides as its been a long time since I've done it and there was a LOT of yellow staining from road grime etc.

Now that I've finished cutting it all back to a nice shiny white, what is the hardest wearing wax/polish to finish it with? It's a massive pain in the ass to get in there to do it so I want it to last as long as possible.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Re: Hardest Wearing Wax

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Hello all. I am nearing the end of my cat trailer refurbishment and will post some pics soon. I built myself a set of boat stands and put the Kevlacat on them while I worked on the trailer. I figured I'd cut and polish the tunnel and undersides as its been a long time since I've done it and there was a LOT of yellow staining from road grime etc.

Now that I've finished cutting it all back to a nice shiny white, what is the hardest wearing wax/polish to finish it with? It's a massive pain in the ass to get in there to do it so I want it to last as long as possible.
    Have you read this excellent post by Blackened.
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...ghlight=polish

Thanks mate I have read that. Was just wondering what wax will last the longest. Once the cat goes back on the trailer it's very hard to get in there to polish so need it to last as long as possible.

I know your pain having done it even on a mono hull is bloody awkward. I used scotch guard marine wax, fortunately wax is easy to apply, the polish is the hard bit. The only suggestion is clean hulls regularly and don't use harsh detergents like those truck washes etc as they will strip your wax. Reapply every 6 months and it will last.

I use Farecla wax and find it excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post

Lovey80 I'm about to put my cat on stand s to do the same, have you got any picks of the stands you made?
    I use Septone Superior Cut Liquid compound first and then Auto Glym Super Resin Polish, they work a treat and they were recommended by my boat builder to me, it's all he uses!

Any carnauba wax thick enough you need to warm in the sun prior to applying. But in any case, anywhere high speed water will be consistently spraying it will be washed out after a few trips.

Quote Originally Posted by Mupster View Post
    Lovey80 I'm about to put my cat on stand s to do the same, have you got any picks of the stands you made?
    I use Septone Superior Cut Liquid compound first and then Auto Glym Super Resin Polish, they work a treat and they were recommended by my boat builder to me, it's all he uses!
    I'll take some tomorrow mate. where are you located?

Check out this stuff. http://www.marineaglaze.com/aglaze-marine-sealant/

I have a 34 Mustang in the marina and each year used to get it professionally cut and polished every 6 months at about $1000 a pop. 2 years ago I , with some trepidation, gave this stuff a go. Results so far have been very good. I get a full 12 months at $700 using a local boat maintenance guy who does the lot. It did start to go "tacky" after 11 months in very high use areas...fender rub points and places where you put your hands a lot but had I redone it at 10 months the wear would never have been noticed. Boat absolutely shines like brand new when it is done, far better than I have ever seen with polish. Boat shines in a marina full of nice boats and it is 10 years old. I use no detergent washing down, just lots of water. Down side is if it does not work, it all has to be cut off before you resume a normal wax based polishing regime.

Farcela uv marine wax for me. Leaves a quality coating designed for open sun conditions. The tunnels won't see the sun. But you will be able to build up a multiple coat system under there.

The polishing compounds is the main success to a long lasting finish. Smooth and shiny makes it hard for stains to stick in the pores of the gelcoat.

Damo's dodgy boat building repair shop.
    Damo's dodgy boat repairs.
    1993 bermuda by Haines 530f - completed resto.
    1976 cruisecraft rogue 14 - estuary weapon.
    1984 vickers easyrider 156 - future project.

From Practical Sailor 2010 tests.

Conclusion
    Based on our cumulative test results, the average boater looking for an easy-to-apply liquid marine polish that will bead water for 12 months should consider either the Imar Yacht Polish, West Marine Pure Oceans Polish with PTFE, or the Nu Finish. Of the three, the Imar product does a better job dealing with oxidation and stains, while the Pure Oceans holds gloss better. If you want the best gloss and stain protection from a liquid, opt for Star brite Premium polish or 3M Scotchgard and re-apply at the six-month mark. If you want something you can also put on your prized 1953 Willys, the Zaino Show Car Polish or the Flitz Waxx protectant are worth looking into.
    Many of these products recommend two or more coats, and this should prolong protection. If you are confident using a power buffer, we also recommend our best paste waxes, either the Collinite 885 or the 3M Marine Paste Wax. Yes, these are harder to apply than the liquid waxes in this test, but we’ve found that they are worth the effort.

Come and see me at Car Care Products in Coorparoo. You want Colinite 845 Insulator Wax. Tough, looks good, and long lasting. Cheap too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melbournes north Lovey80!

Solvex Polymer polish.... excellent but hard to find usually by mail order.

BigE

It's already been mentioned a couple of times, but whatever polish/wax you use, the most important thing is do NOT use a normal detergent wash to clean the boat during the season. Water only and/or a soft brush. The normal detergents will strip the wax off the gelcoat.