Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hardest Wearing Wax

Re: Hardest Wearing Wax

Quote Originally Posted by mal555 View Post
    It's already been mentioned a couple of times, but whatever polish/wax you use, the most important thing is do NOT use a normal detergent wash to clean the boat during the season. Water only and/or a soft brush. The normal detergents will strip the wax off the gelcoat.
    II ended up going with the Farcela UV wax. 4 coats on the areas I can't get to easily. I'm interested to hear if people think the bit of elbow grease to rub the wet wax in when you are applying it is worth it or is smearing it on, waiting for it to dry and rubbing it off just as effective?

The detergent one is a quandary. For the top sides and outside of the boat, if you haven't applied wax in a while, there is always fish guts and squid ink and it takes some getting off. Not a problem in those areas as it's easy to re-apply the wax. But the soap will drip down he undersides where getting to the areas to wax are problematic..... These areas usually only get a hose down after each trip.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

I have heard good things about the Collinite products (cleaner/wax, wax and metal wax).

Lovey80, there are couple of boats washes that are not supposed to strip the polish/wax. Imar and Dulon boat washes come to mind. Starbrite non skid deck cleaner (from Whitworths) also claims not to strip polish/wax.