Thread: Steering Clearance Issues

Steering Clearance Issues

Hey Guys,

After doing about 3 weeks work on modifying my boat to be a bit safer offshore, i have gone to measure up the splash well for mechanical steering... and boom... it wont fit.

the manufactures have told me the stroke length is 228mm on full lock.. i'm assuming this means i am going to need 228mm clearance on the port side. unfortunately i only have about 215mm without the drag link attached!!

is there something i can do to work around this/another option to mount steering?

Thanks for your help guys.. see photo below

Re: Steering Clearance Issues

No pic. Personally I would just go hydraulic but if you want to stick with mechanical you could cut a hole for clearance and get an insert (bought or made) for waterproofing

Probably not a problem, you just won't get full lock one way, 15mm is bigger all

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    Probably not a problem, you just won't get full lock one way, 15mm is bigger all
    Or you could do that. Might want a bit of stainless plate mounted where the end of the cable contacts the motor well to stop damage

Go Hydraulic- you will never regret it.

The narrow motor well might make hydraulic tricky, the short bullhorn (front mount) might be an option, or possibly the side mount if you can get a hole directly beside the tilt tube.

OH, and by the way, there is another option, but I personally don't like it much, you can get a "transom mount" that has a gizmo (bracket) that mounts to the transom, and holds the outer cable, enabling only the inner to be connected to the steering arm, the bracket kind of replaces the tilt tube ,if you get what I mean?

Go for a bullhorn hydraulic....

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    Go for a bullhorn hydraulic....
    As long as it will fit! Remember he is having trouble with cable, bullhorn requires clearance on both sides, they do make a narrow version though, but it is only a bit shorter.

The splashwell on the long boat is not very wide, the cable steering must have been put in when the motor was installed as there was no way I could get it out, not enough room to the side to physically remove it so I had to angle grind the bastard off. The bullhorn fits in there easily, I can take a pic if you need me to boona