Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Simrad Transducer

Re: Simrad Transducer

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    552 evo. i believe i might of already been made aware of the your situation.

builder has installed just an LSS2 structure scan transducer only. lots of eyebrows to be raised . but hopefully its all getting sorted. to run the totalscan transducer you will need a flush mount kit and have some holes filled up under your keep.
    or go with a 2nd transom mount transducer or through hull.

Moose

PS.. if things get funky. just give me a bell and ill sling a transducer your way to get you on the water
    Thanks Moose you are a gentleman, I'll wait and give the boat builder a chance to sort it out, but I think I'll be on the water Sunday with just structurescan - not much structure in PPB
    Last I heard from him he was going to send me a 2nd transom mount transducer after he was satisfied that the transducer he supplied does not read sonar, depth and temp. I can only put my case to him so much I guess. And I'm still learning about all this stuff, when I contacted him initially I knew far less than now.

Jamie.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

well everything happens for a reason "what a stupid saying!!" so at least you are a wiser man now
    i had lowrance turn up last week to ask if i knew what was going on. we both were just as perplexed as each other,

side note

structure scan is rather useful in PPB
    considering that yep it is a bit of a desert out there. it is handy to search wide tracks of bay to find those made made or natural reefs that attract fish. for example. a mate gives you a waypoint. you head out there and PFFF.. theres no reef there.. but 40mt off to the right, there is.... with structurescan you can see things easier and simpler.

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Thanks again Moose
    Great video too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moose - what is your take on mounting these structure scan / totalscan transducers on the flat keel (as per earlier photo from 552 EVO?) . The Simrad brochure says not to, but not sure why you couldnt/wouldn't??? What is the issue??

For example, my second boat is a Stacer 4.3m proline V nose punt. I have a spare bracket and power cable for my GO7xse on my Surtees, and all I would need is a Totalscan transducer to add to the Stacer and I could run it on there as well.

But, transom mounting the totalscan on that flat hull will mean it is very compromised to the port side by the outboard leg. But if I could attach it under the hull between 2 ribs, it would seem a far better option. Have to be careful when beaching the boat of course but otherwise.......??

would appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

[QUOTE=Moonlighter;1620871 Have to be careful when beaching the boat of course but otherwise.......??

[/QUOTE]

That plus possibly the chance of signal reflections from side lobes and the proximity to the ribs would be my concerns. If you wanted to do it this way I would find a method of trying it prior to drilling. Is it the structure scan transducer that doesn't lock down on the bracket - can't remember whether it was this or one of the Garmin's. When you look at the size of the transducer compared to mountings, they are possibly very concerned about impact damage - wouldn't take much of a hit if it was solid mounted to break the lugs.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    That plus possibly the chance of signal reflections from side lobes and the proximity to the ribs would be my concerns. If you wanted to do it this way I would find a method of trying it prior to drilling. Is it the structure scan transducer that doesn't lock down on the bracket - can't remember whether it was this or one of the Garmin's. When you look at the size of the transducer compared to mountings, they are possibly very concerned about impact damage - wouldn't take much of a hit if it was solid mounted to break the lugs.
    See pics in post #4. Looks pretty sturdy to me, no lugs as such. Also deep enough that it seems likely that it would shoot over any nearby ribs.

I am hoping Moose might have mounted some in various positions like that and would comment based on actual experience.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Sorry Moonlighter - was thinking more along the lines of the Structurescan than the Totalscan. Have seen structurescan transducers with broken lugs / wings / mounts - most likely from impact.

hmmmm ive heard from simrad egineers that its fine and ive heard its not fine. i think it comes down to boaters choice and common sense. the risk is that it will get damaged. but thats a risk pretty much anywhere. we have installed an LSS2 on the keel of Daves 5mt evo and its been brilliant. clear imaging port/strb. when we installed the SS3D transducer we installed it on its transom mount bracket instead however. we felt the depth "about twice as thick as a lss2" was a little too deep for the keel.

and remember that the side beams dont go out horizontal. they go down on an angle. so depending on location it can totally miss the leg

www.moosemarine.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    hmmmm ive heard from simrad egineers that its fine and ive heard its not fine. i think it comes down to boaters choice and common sense. the risk is that it will get damaged. but thats a risk pretty much anywhere. we have installed an LSS2 on the keel of Daves 5mt evo and its been brilliant. clear imaging port/strb. when we installed the SS3D transducer we installed it on its transom mount bracket instead however. we felt the depth "about twice as thick as a lss2" was a little too deep for the keel.

and remember that the side beams dont go out horizontal. they go down on an angle. so depending on location it can totally miss the leg
    Thanks Moose - good info, appreciate it. I agree, there are plenty of ways to damage a tranducer and the transom mount option is by no means immune to many of them. Brackets could get bent and damaged pretty easily on those long side scan/totalscan models i reckon.

Do you have a rough idea of the angle the side beams go out on? Do you think mounting a totalscan between the ribs on a flat arsed tinny like a the Stacer proline would be feasible from that perspective? Worth a go?

Attachment 114208a

even with the beams going out on an angle. i wouldnt be mounting it between skegs

www.moosemarine.com.au

I would try it if you really want it there but only if you can do it without drilling - just getting someone to hold it where you want it while you have a play may work.

some more ideas,
    this is the same hull as yours, this would give pretty good results.

bp5277234961961201778.jpg

Ok so on the weekend I managed to hit the water and do some testing of the NSS EVO2 Simrad unit and Structurescan transducer with some positive results.
    I did manage to get a depth and bottom reading. I trialled most all of the transducer types and after I set the transducer type to "Totalscan", even though the transducer is only a "Structurescan" it did get a depth and bottom image on the screen.
    Still no water temp. but from what I can see on the Structurescan/LSS2 information it does not do water temp.
    There doesn't appear to be an "auto-detect" setting for the transducer type.
    Maybe the Simrad unit needs a software update that might include more transducer options ?
    I've searched my Simrad technical documents and anywhere I could think of online and can't find a recommended setting for the Structurescan transducer, does anyone else have a Structurescan transducer and could share what transducer setting works on their head unit please.

Jamie

there is only auto detect on transducers with an XID wire "kinda like a ..hello i am one of these transducers..." wire.

where abouts in melbourne are you located evo?

www.moosemarine.com.au

Hi Moose,
    Ok cool -re XID wire,
    I'm at Crazyburn
    But don't hold that against me
    I'm expecting my boat builder to courier another transducer this week, I have no idea what transducer he's sending though ?

Jamie