Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1770 creek problems

Exclamation 1770 creek problems

Hi to anyone that fishes out of 1770 or wants to.

Be warned about the siltation issues there.

here is a letter penned to a few relevant authorities in reagrd to this danger.

In regard to the Round Hill Creek, entrance and in particular the vicinity of S24.09.077…… E151.53.006 . The estuary is extremely shallow at and either side of a low tide and in fact many locals and frequent visitors have called it “ dangerous “. There has been numerous incidents at this area of groundings with some vessels being stuck for some time and more so, some vessels sustaining substantial damage to props and skegs with unknown ( at this juncture ) further damage to gearboxes and housings. Substrate build up over the last few years has gone unchecked. The situation has deteriorated so much that I believe the VMR has advised visiting vessels with a deep draft to not enter the creek or do so at their own behest. This has serious financial impacts on the local community and causes angst to the staff of the VMR if any vessel they advise not to, should decide to enter the creek.

Having vessels grounded in this area creates an unacceptable risk to other vessels entering and leaving the estuary, let alone distress to the grounded vessels crew. The amount of marine traffic through this bar equates to similar traffic through the most popular bars in SEQ around much heavier populated areas. This in turn creates a major issue for visitors who are unfamiliar with the estuary and bar crossing. It should also be noted that during the early part of this year and major marine incident took place and as a result, rescue vessels were needed to bring persons needing medical attention ashore via the Round Hill Creek. Traversing this passage caused more distress to the already emotionally drained rescue crews. A situation that does not and should not happen to a well maintained navigable waterway.

There are plans and approvals to undertake new marina development in the estuary adjacent to the existing marina and with this comes more marine traffic. I would ask the question if an EIS has been undertaken in respect to possible siltation issues and processes to alleviate said issues at or near the estuary entrance / bar ? It must be noted that the build-up of silt / sand in the area has increased substantially since the new marina development commenced.
    This system and its associated land based attractions are a tourism hot spot and as such command a high level of importance in regard to maintaining that ranking in “ places to visit “ on the Queensland coastline. There are a large number of commercial and recreational vessels that utilize this system on a daily basis and all are entitled to travel upon this waterway with confidence. With these vessels using the creek, the financial benefits to the local community are essential, but should this situation continue, I would suggest
    recreational users in particular will seek alternative departure or stop over points.

I call on the local Council, State Government, Gladstone Port Authority and MSQ along with other controlling bodies as well as stakeholders of the estuary to address this issue as soon as possible. As a navigable creek system, the responsibility of ensuring a safe passage lies at the feet of the authority that owns or over-sees this system.

The Gladstone Regional Council and Department of Natural Resources are the major stakeholders of this marine system along with the Gladstone Port Authority and therefore we expect these entities to provide a serviceable navigation pathway from the estuary to ocean.

I respect budgetary constraints of all stakeholders, but also feel that safety of the public is a pre-cursor to prioritise funding, particularly where it has been established by relevant users like VMR and Commercial Operators that there is a need for expeditious action.

Regards
    Phill Kliese
    Ausfish Fishing Forums

LP

Please use this or a variation of it to send to those that need to know.

MSQ
    Gladstone Port Authority
    Gladstone Regional Council
    MP Steve Bennett
    Fed MP , O'Dowd
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Re: 1770 creek problems

I agree. I couldn't even get through in a 6m half cabin close to a low tide in July. Not sure how VMR can perform a rescue if they can't get out to the open water.

1770 creek problems

Quote Originally Posted by FINICKY View Post
    ... I couldn't even get through in a 6m half cabin close to a low tide in July...
    It seems to have got more shallow now too. A mate who lives there was out a few weeks or more ago, and despite not being a low 'Low Tide' (nor was he expecting to have to wait as from memory he was ~an hour after low tide), on his return into the creek he was greeted by 5 or 6 boats anchored or waiting inside the creek near the green.

As you can imagine, there wasn't much space left in the narrow deep section of the creek for these boats let alone another, so he went back outside and dropped the pick in the bay, and came back in an hour or so, but still had to putter thru with the donk trimmed right up.

Watch your props and skegs guys!

Cheers
    Brendon

Theres a similar spot somewhere near Hinchinbrook where VMR cant get out due to silt.

be careful what you ask for...
    We had the same problem with Toogoom creek (near Burrum) silting up. When locals complained, the govt decided to remove all red and green markers, as it was "unnavigable, and therefore, the markers were not a true measure of access!!"
    took us 12 months of writing letters to stop them removing the markers. No dredging ever happened.
    Fishing- It's only an addiction if you're trying to quit.

To give you idea, 3 weeks ago I crossed it at a 1.3meter tide and had 0.8 meters under me as I sat on the plane hoping like all hell it didn't get any shallower and I scuff the bottom

Your trouble is Rob you plan all your trips to hit the bar at low tide

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    Your trouble is Rob you plan all your trips to hit the bar at low tide
    For some strange reason it seems to be every trip you're on.
    Starting to see a pattern here, Gav did warn me hahahhahaha

Just go trough at night Rob then u won't see it's shallow

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I run in and out the creek quite often and while I agree it has got shallow in the last couple of years, the only issues I have are other boaties coming off the plane in front of me to idle through with motor trimmed out and getting stuck. My sounder goes blank at about .4 of a meter and does so when I cross the bar at dead low tides and as yet my motor is yet to hit the bottom let alone the boat. my advice is stay on the plane and draw bugger all water or wait for the tide.
    Anybody now what the average off shore trailer boat draws on the plane [outboard]??

Quote Originally Posted by KEMEL K View Post
    I run in and out the creek quite often and while I agree it has got shallow in the last couple of years, the only issues I have are other boaties coming off the plane in front of me to idle through with motor trimmed out and getting stuck. My sounder goes blank at about .4 of a meter and does so when I cross the bar at dead low tides and as yet my motor is yet to hit the bottom let alone the boat. my advice is stay on the plane and draw bugger all water or wait for the tide.
    Anybody now what the average off shore trailer boat draws on the plane [outboard]??
    I swear Moejoes must draw a metre or more, as Rob spend an inordinate amount of time with his motor trimmed up digging his own channel

Quote Originally Posted by KEMEL K View Post
    Have to agree Kemel.
    However it is worrying about the what if I hit at speed ( 30 plus knots) as for me could be costly with 2 motors.
    I like to think I draw 350 to 400mm on the plane with the possibility of the skeg scrapping thru
    I know I draw 600mm off the plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Back In Black View Post
    I swear Moejoes must draw a metre or more, as Rob spend an inordinate amount of time with his motor trimmed up digging his own channel
    Hahahahhaha
    Sure you're not referring to yourself on the Noosa Bar Tony.
    I have personally witnessed that on Back in Black
    2 by 500 x 500mm groves dredged in the bar LOL

Can't help but think that the situation issue you speak of is a natural process that has been going on for thousands of years! It might be an inconvenience and, sure, not conducive to low tide vmr rescues but it is part of the charm of the area. Next big rains might scour out a deep channel...who knows! Round hill creek, Eurimbula, Jenny Lind....pristine is the word that comes to mind! I wouldn't recommend crossing the shallows at full noise unless you know the area very well either!! My 2 cents worth

Lots of "things" have been going on for thousands of years, but now and then, man needs to undo what nature does, no one is building a high rise apartment block, it is a simple matter of some sand removal, just like gets done in lots of ports around the country from time to time.

It doesn't look any different at low tide to what it looked 10 years ago. We've been crossing it all week. I don't want to see it dredged.
    nil carborundum illegitimi