Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1770 creek problems

Re: 1770 creek problems

Will be part of Grumpy's (GBRMPA) territory, good luck getting permission to dredge it even if funds are made available, as mentioned, more likely complaints will result in the navigation marks will be removed as it will be deemed unsafe in present condition.

The issue you have is that it falls within multiple jurisdictions - most or all of whom have no financial incentive to pay for the dredging which will cost a bomb. Look at the shite fight that took place to get a commitment to dredge Raby Bay boat ramp basin because no one wanted to put their hand up and pay. Even dredging of the ferry basin at Cleveland was put off because one of the ferry operators reportedly said they were not paying. If a facility like that can't get government funding for safer access, 1770 has little to no hope. Most river bar entrances will be non navigable at some stage of a tide - the response you are most likely to get will be " the safety of the vessel is the responsibility of the vessels master. If it is not safe to cross, wait until such time that it is."

As for rescues in the area - last time we sailed to Port Alma from Bundaberg, there was a report of a vessel that had sunk and left 6 people in the water. The various rescue groups simply put a lot of effort into contacting available vessels in the area to attend. The closest vessel raised (Bundaberg based charter vessel) was diverted before the report was downgraded to the vessel was making it's way to 1770 at reduced speed but under it's own power. At this point a GBRMPA patrol vessel was asked to shadow the vessel to port. The area is pretty busy now - unless the weather is extremely bad, we never do a transit without seeing vessel traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by GBC View Post
    It doesn't look any different at low tide to what it looked 10 years ago. We've been crossing it all week. I don't want to see it dredged.

3 years ago it was fine at low tide, now its not even close to passable 1 hour before low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Silver Unicorn View Post
    3 years ago it was fine at low tide, now its not even close to passable 1 hour before low.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    yes, 2013 floods have that effect sometimes ....... 40 years ago was the same when I first went there. Dredging a creek like that one is a short term, short sighted action and a complete waste of public time and money imo.
    nil carborundum illegitimi

Does anyone know what it's like now? Has the situation changed at all since the last reports on here?

The Kansei Airport (Japan) was built on a man-made island created some 5km offshore. The 4km by 2km international airport including land reclamation, runways, airport terminals, urban connections etc took just seven years in the most arduous and hazardous location in terms of soils, liquefaction, typhoons etc. Yes, an international airport created, on land reclaimed miles offshore, but we can't dredge a bloody creek mouth at 1770 nor at Boyne-Tannum. And yet, we can afford to employ a swag of bureaucrats who can explain why it is not possible or practical to undertake the local dredging. Hmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by Dezzer View Post
    Last edited by SUPERDAFF; 09-05-2018 at 10:27 PM. Reason: literal

I think lots of places like this (in most states) require almost a full time small dredge, now that alone would be very expensive, not just to buy the dredge, but someone to operate it, where to put the sand and so on, and mostly this would fall on the local council, dredging is usually a short term option, but at times, it's the only option to make things safe for boaters, tourists and rescue organisations. The problem is, which area to do first, everyone has a place that should be done first, and councils and Gov bodies are notorious for forming working parties and steering committees to investigate these things, that is of course after an environmental impact study has been completed, by this time a year has gone by, and most of the funds are gone, it's the same all over. Mooloolaba is very shallow now, should it get preference over 1770? Should Pumicestone Passage be done before either of them? I am not exactly sure what the answer is to sort out when, how, at what cost and who is paying? but it is not unique to that location.

Noel, the 1770 estuary is managed by Gladstone Port Authority.... apparently.

Further this is the first time since 1979.... since I have been going there every year, that it has got this bad. So, it seems that either something up-current has changed ( sand drift on the east coast goes North ) or the weather events from 1979 to 2015 have altered to allow this to happen. It is a natural event..... hopefully, and what nature does cannot be " engineered " by humans. Meaning all the mapping, science, algorithms and white-board squiggles are no guarantee.

The council and port authority just need to friggin dredge it... then wait to see what happens. At the moment they are putting lives at risk. Will it take a fatality to wake them up ? I hope not.

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

LP, I suspect the natural phenomenon, what's needed is a cyclone to come down the coast, the last one we had that came down I'm pretty sure was Roger which changed many bars, since then not enough severe weather has occurred to help clean out estuary systems and bars even the 2011 floods did very little for anything north of brisbane. Debbie had potential but then went inland.

Not too sure how or why, but entrances blocking up is very common in the last couple of years, right down the east coast, almost everywhere is near blocked, who knows what's happening, global warming? Aliens? A normal cycle of some kind? even the little entrance at the front of my place is shallow, at low tide you can step across the "channel" why??

Well, at low tide there isnt lot of water in places there but we managed to get in and out at about 1.5hrs from the low tide, in a 5.7m boat. Saw depths as low as .9m between the last red and green on the way out.

Top spot though, love it.

Blog Entries

I have no dramas on my kayak. Just need to pull out the mirage drive at low as I go over the bar.

Quote Originally Posted by Funchy View Post
    I have no dramas on my kayak. Just need to pull out the mirage drive at low as I go over the bar.
    I didn't realise you called my boat Mirage last week when we crossed the bar.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dignity View Post
    I didn't realise you called my boat Mirage last week when we crossed the bar.
    Im surprised you sobered up enough to get me home