Thread: Tangaloma / Moreton Island Holiday in Sept

Tangaloma / Moreton Island Holiday in Sept

Hi Folks,
    Would anyone be able to tell me where I should bring my family (with 9 and 5 yr old) to fish around Tangalooma Island Resort?
    We booked 2 nights for the end of September. We won’t have a car on the island. I am thinking to bring two light rods with us.
    We’ve never been to Tangalooma / Moreton island. So any suggestion will be appreciated.
    Regards,
    Carl

Re: Tangaloma / Moreton Island Holiday in Sept

Off the wharf, try late arvo or dusk but before they get into the dolphin feeding as you not allowed to catch them, apparently). You are not allowed to use lures or jigs (including soft plastics), you can only use one baited hook per rod (Resort rules) and I think even braid is banned but not 100% sure about that one. You could expect to catch stingrays and shovel nose sharks and prhaps the odd surprise cruising through.

Other option is anywhere along the beach where you can spot a gutter for whiting. If your really keen walk a few Km's past the wrecks (South) and try the mouth of one of the creeks, best fished at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    Off the wharf, try late arvo or dusk but before they get into the dolphin feeding as you not allowed to catch them, apparently). You are not allowed to use lures or jigs (including soft plastics), you can only use one baited hook per rod (Resort rules) and I think even braid is banned but not 100% sure about that one. You could expect to catch stingrays and shovel nose sharks and prhaps the odd surprise cruising through.

Other option is anywhere along the beach where you can spot a gutter for whiting. If your really keen walk a few Km's past the wrecks (South) and try the mouth of one of the creeks, best fished at night.
    Hi Crunchy,

Thank you very much for your information.

I planned to bring lures to Tangalooma previously. Now I am afraid I'll have to bring my prawn and esky instead.
    I don't think there is a kitchen in my room at the resort. So catch and release would be the way to go.
    Don't really like stingray though, as they are fishing line killers. : -(

Thank you again.

You can use lures off the beach, just not off the wharf....enjoy your visit its a top place.

Thank you again, Crunchy.

I believe we will (kids got very excited about feeding dolphins already).

Have a nice day.