Thread: Sunday Arvo Session

Sunday Arvo Session

We dropped the cat in the water around 2pm on Sunday afternoon and headed for the Cape. I was expecting the water to be fairly choppy as there had been a bit of wind in the morning and it was not forecast to drop out until sometime during the night. Once outside the water was quite calm so we headed up to throw a few plastics around the Smith's Reef area. A quick sound around showed large schools of bait right across the reef and plenty of bigger fish holding tight to the bait schools so I was pretty confident that we would connect to a few fish.

I was pretty happy to see the deckie hook up to a nice fish on the first drift of the afternoon, and it was a good way to christen his new Samurai rod.

With the tide being close to full, the drift was quite slow so I tossed a 9" curl tail plastic on a quarter ounce jig head out the back and let it drag along behind the boat while casting another outfit in front of our drift line. The trailing plastic got slammed and after a nice fight I landed a 60cm snapper to add to the ice box.

Over the course of the afternoon we caught a steady stream of fish, keeping 5 and releasing a similar number of smaller fish.

Things went quiet as the sun set and the plastics were no longer getting strikes. I ran south intending to anchor up on a section of ledge at Robert's Shoal and get a berley trail into the water for a dusk fish. Incredibly, the only other boat out there was anchored up within 50 metres of the spot I was intending to drop the pick on. I headed down to the southern end of the shoal and sounded around, but it was pretty much dark by the time I got the pick down up current of a good show of fish.

Despite putting a good pile of berley into the water over the next two hours, we did not manage to put any decent fish into the ice box, so we cruised home across a dead calm bay. After cleaning the fish, I did a quick inspection of the stomach contents and all fish had a number of very small whiting in their stomachs so pretty easy to work out what the bait schools were that we saw on the sounder. Of course, that left me with a nice collection of snapper frames to dispose of, and the best way to do that was to take a run up one of the local creeks with the crab pots on Tuesday afternoon. The mossies were getting a bit too friendly after dark and after doing a run on the pots and collecting two good legal bucks, I called it a night and headed home.

All in all, not a bad way to fill in a few hours.

cheers

Jeff

Re: Sunday Arvo Session

Well done Jeff, nice way to spend a Sunday evening that's for sure ... oh and a Tuesday evening too for the muddies.
    Cheers
    Brendon

Re: Sunday Arvo Session

Some tasty critters there well done.