Thread: Brisbane River Jew and Salmon

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Brisbane River Jew and Salmon

After the last trip to the river I was hopeful that the fish were still going to be firing and well I wasn't dissappointed!
    Watched the Broncos beat the storm and then got ready, on the water around 1:30am Sat morning. Getting livies is still not an issue, saw some flicking on the surface, threw the net and about 30 perfect sized mullet came up. Went and got some good ize silver biddys and some herring for burley.
    3 rods in the water, 1 with mullet, 1 with silver biddys and 1 with a strip of mullet.
    The strip went off like a rocket around 3:30am, a lovely 91cm Jew surfaced after a nice fight.
    The silver biddys went off next, after another decent fight a 105cm threadfin salmon came up around 5am.
    Rebaited the silver biddys and around 6am they went off again, a smaller 81cm jew was the culprit (phone died after the salmon so no photos of the smaller jew).
    Had the mullet bitten clean in half at some point during the fight with the last jew, the tailer have been doing this lately. Called it a morning and was home by 7:30am.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Salmon.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	62.3 KB 
ID:	114104Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jew.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	114105

Re: Brisbane River Jew and Salmon

Great session.

What pound trace are you running? Got bitten off by a really good land based jewy a few weeks ago on 40lb trace. Am going to try 80. Got him right to the edge, nd then after reaching for the gaff, off he went.

Cuzza

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

On my heavier rods I use 60lb trace and on the lighter gear I use 40lb. I haven't lost a fish yet but I mainly use circle hooks and they normally pin them in the corner of the mouth. The occasions when they swallow the circle hooks I normally tie a whole new rig because they always scuff the line at least a little.
    That still would have been a nice sized jewie to break 40lb trace!

One thing ive learnt is to back off the drag when you get em close to the boat....lost a few boat side from getting them to the surface then having to find the gaff. Holding the rod in one hand going for the gaff with the other...
    As soon as the drag starts to tick over the gaff and or net are the first things I get out ready. The closer to the boat the less line in the water and the less give/stretch you have over the fish, and the bigger the fish the bigger the fight beside the boat.

Seeing its sometimes an unknown quantity what you could pull out of the seaway I run 50lb main and 60 FC leader.

but good work on the fish boated.

Yeah mate wasn't too bad. Looked at least 85. Ah well. Thanks for the info.

Cuzza

85.... id drag that in on the bream gear!! Nar I know what you mean. One big one I lost was a metre plus and my PB 1.2m, I was in no rush, just let him dictate.