Thread: Seafarer Victory 5.9 transducer removal

Seafarer Victory 5.9 transducer removal

I have recently purchased an old Victory 5.9 and plan to replace the in-hull tranny which has had it's cable chopped of at some point in the past - see pic.This one is (roughly) flush on the under side of the hull toward the rear of the port side planning strake. Looks like a bit of a challenge as I can't see any obvious lock nut setup on this unit. Anyone had experience will getting one of these out? Also, as I have removed the old folding rear bench seat the cable will exit out onto the exposed cockpit floor. Anyone have a good creative solution to keep the cable out of harms way until it can get to safety? Cheers.20160828_145354.jpg

Re: Seafarer Victory 5.9 transducer removal

There have been two common types used. The earlier lowrance type used a coaxial type cable and was flush with the bottom of the hull. The other - an Airmar usually has an obvious nut, protrudes from the hull about 5mm and uses a multi-core cable. The older Lowrance units are a bit smaller than the hole required for the modern Airmar unit's so I usually just remove with the necessary sized holesaw from underneath the hull - bit of messing around but can be done. If it's an Airmar, what ever is retaining it needs to be undone and the sealant cut - I use an old fillet knife with the tip ground into a chisel point and gently hammer it into the sealant around the transducer from the inside and under the flange on the outside. Once all the sealant is cut it can still be a case of brute force to get it out though.

As for the cable, mine exits thru the slightly raised roof of the box at the corner closest to the aft/gunwale and is in a tiny loom tube with cable holders screwed through the carpet.
    seats been out 8 years and i never really noticed the short run of cable till you mentioned it. ( actually I have a removeable second carpet over it when I fish.
    Cheers

Thanks scottar, I'd say this is the earlier type. Do you know if they were epoxied into place? I didn't get a good pic from the outside but the hole doesn't look like a single straight holesaw cut- it's not quite round. Not sure if it's had a dremel or something similar used on it. As best as I can measure it it appears to be 51mm which should fit the Airmar in-hull types.
    tenzing - any chance that you could post an image. Not quite sure what a loom tube is. I don't have carpet.

To the best of my knowledge, the early Lowrance ones were fitted by molding the hull with a dummy plug in place and then knocking the plug out and fitting the transducer into the molding. There were two sizes - one smaller than the Airmar and one substantially bigger. The photo doesn't really look like any I have seen before but it could just be that the transducer is covered in sealant (the brown ring of stuff on top). You can remove the transducer without using a holesaw if it is the Lowrance. There is a plastic "nut" that needs to be removed from the inside and then hit the transducer firmly with a hammer - just make sure there is no roller impeding it's exit. If you can't get the "nut" undone, cut it either side of the transducer with a chisel or better still a dremel or die grinder.

I recently went through this same exercise. In my new V-Sea (to me) was one of the old lowrance thru hull transducer. I had all sorts of trouble and ended up taking it to local workshop to remove old and install new.

They told me it was a bigger to get out and basically destroyed it in doing so.

Fitted an Airmar B117 (600 watt transducer) which works exceptionally well for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like destruction is the most likly method for removal.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like destruction is the most likely method for removal.