Thread: How does the last genneration sounder technology stack up against SV chirp technology

How does the last genneration sounder technology stack up against SV chirp technology

Ok - I have my heart set on a Garmin Echomap 95sv Chirp.

However, a spanner has been thrown into the works as I can get hold of a “new-old stock’ Furuno 587 sounder at a significant discount to rrp. A transducer will need to be added to the package and I will rely on a Lowrance elite 5 as a GPS.

So I am looking for advice as to the relative merits of the older non –chirp, non-sv Furuno against the chirp technology.

What’s the thoughts?

Thanks
    Stevet
    Last edited by stevet; 28-08-2016 at 11:51 AM. Reason: speeling - grammar

Re: How does the last genneration sounder technology stack up against SV chirp techno

There are only minor changes between the 587 and new 588. Furuno is suppose to be the benchmark of fish finder tech, probably cant go wrong with it and a 600w or 1kw transducer.

587 with 600w transducer (1kw if budget allows),
    Elie 5 as GPS
    navionics on a tablet (most people have one these days) mounted on a Ebay stand as a backup

Is a pretty usable setup.

If you pass up on the 587 let me know as I will take it. My 582L just shit itself and they share the same plugs

Re: How does the last genneration sounder technology stack up against SV chirp techno

Furuno for my money unless you really want the side scan. Does depend a bit on the style of fishing you do. Estuaries and rivers - the Garmin will offer advantages with the sidescan. Offshore - Furuno.

I'm with ryangler, if you pass up the 587.. I am in the market.

Thing is I have a FCV 668 and it is working perfectly, but being such old school technology, it will shit itself one day.

I do all offshore fishing and there is no doubt Furuno offer a top line product, sort of depends on your intended use as scottar says.

Then it depends on how good you can interpret the readings.

Good luck with the new set-up

cheers LP
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

The extra box to hook a 1KW transducer to the 588 is a bit bloody rich at ~$580. With the old school Furuno couldn't you just plug a 1KW straight into the unit?

You still can Crunchy. You only need the matching box if you have the rubber block transducer(s) or a variant that doesn't have an internal diplexer. There are transducer options available that don't require it.