Thread: Finally Cracked It

Finally Cracked It

Catching a big Jew has always been on my fishing bucket list. I have caught plenty of Jew before but none what I would call huge.

So Friday after a day of study I watched the wind drop out and headed out about 1 to have a relaxing fish after a hard few weeks. First stop was Mud in glassed out conditions but it was very slow with a few small snapper only.

I decided that was enough after an hour and headed out past Harries to a spot that I had seen holding bait and decided to give it a go at this location.

I was pretty slow to start with a pile of 33cm snapper seemingly all out of the same mode but then the tailor turned up and I had fun spinning light slugs and landing 7 good size fish.

The sabiki also finally filled up and I had a few good Herring which went straight out on the bait runner for a few good runs. Mostly tail bite offs and some good runs but no dice.

Watching a very nice sunset in calm conditions and having a coldie the bait runner goes off it tits with a solid run that was quite different to the other ones. Count to five and then start winding and there is a solid fish taking allot of line.

I slowly tightened the drag watching line disappear alarmingly and then finally I was slowing the big guys down and turned him. First thought was shark, then Tuna and then Snapper after a second big run.

Nearly dark now but I finally saw the big glowing of of a Jewfish. As I got him to the boat I was surprised with the size but he was well hooked so played nicely around the boat until I got the fish in the net.

Bucket list ticked off. A meter Jew and a very solid fish. Headed home pretty stoked and enjoyed a great feed tonight as did allot of the family and friends.

Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Attached Thumbnails - Click to enlarge Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	114096  

Re: Finally Cracked It

Great effort well done.

good end to that story for sure, great stuff
    Dad reckons fishing is 10% brains and 95% muscle, the rest is just good luck.

Sounds like a glorious day. I've been in Queensland the last week or so but land locked, just looking at boats and people going out to enjoy the beautiful conditions. After enduring a particularly crap winter in SA I envy you guys up here at this time of year. Congrats on a great day and catch. I must mentioned though, that fish would be considered "just legal" at home
    Cheers
    Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Cape Crusader View Post
    Sounds like a glorious day. I've been in Queensland the last week or so but land locked, just looking at boats and people going out to enjoy the beautiful conditions. After enduring a particularly crap winter in SA I envy you guys up here at this time of year. Congrats on a great day and catch. I must mentioned though, that fish would be considered "just legal" at home
    Cheers
    Rod
    Haha thanks Cape Crusader - SA makes up in fish sizes what it lacks in weather I guess :-)

Have to get down there some day and have a crack at the big snaps and KG Whiting

Well done and thanks for sharing.

Blair
    Friday afternoon was awesome conditions hey - as good as it gets in the bay.
    I'm pretty sure I saw you at Mud, man that place is hard going in calm conditions. I have found it fishes better as the conditions get worse.
    Congrats on the Jewie mate.
    Dan.

nice fish but its the tailor that would have been on live for me instead of the herring
    The Rainbowrunner
    Peter Hansler
    phansler@hotmail.com
    Click here for my webpage
    Click here for my videos

Give a man a fish, he'll eat it and fall asleep.

Teach a man to fish and he'll endanger an entire species

Quote Originally Posted by Dantren View Post
    Blair
    Friday afternoon was awesome conditions hey - as good as it gets in the bay.
    I'm pretty sure I saw you at Mud, man that place is hard going in calm conditions. I have found it fishes better as the conditions get worse.
    Congrats on the Jewie mate.
    Dan.
    Hey Dan Mud was hard pretty quiet I am glad I decided to move.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainbowrunner View Post
    nice fish but its the tailor that would have been on live for me instead of the herring
    It did cross my mind but the big guy hit before I could swap the baits over. Alls well ends well though :-)

Its a good feeling when you see that big silver glow under the boat...well done.

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Always an awesome feeling getting any size jew but the ones over a meter are always that much more special. Well done!