Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wtf - Holden reduces GVM rating of Colorado 7

wtf - Holden reduces GVM rating of Colorado 7

Just got a letter from Holden and they tell me that new compliance plates need to be fitted as the GVM has now been reduced from 3150kg to 2820kg, this is just over 10%. How the hell does this happen, does that mean my AGM and CVM now changes, will be calling them tomorrow as there was no other information.

Also got another recall notice, 2 of the middle seats can't be used until replaced, happy to comply except they want the vehicle for 2 weeks, mind you they will give me a replacement vehicle, the best they can do is a Craptiva, won't tow the big boat, won't have roof racks for the yak, and cant be used on the beach. 2 bloody weeks, what is going on here, anyone know what's happening, just waiting for no 3 recall 😨

Re: wtf - Holden reduces GVM rating of Colorado 7

Tell them that with the reduction in GVM the vehicle is no longer fit for purpose and had you known, you would not have even considered it and that if they can not get it engineered you will be either returning it for a refund or starting legal action.

Thanks Scottar, many of those thoughts were on my mind. I m certainly not happy about the situation, also will be interested why they want 2 weeks to change some seat fittings especially as I had planned a trip to Fraser shortly with my daughter and some of her friends, could cause serious legal repurcussions if I m involved in an accident. Interestingly the dealer I enquired with said they hadn't had anyone else enquire, I suspect the 2 weeks turnover scared them off.

Back to the GVM I'll male enquiries elsewhere to see where I stand.

Applying such a specification change 'retrospectively' is very poor form, and could lead to all sorts of legal challenges as Scotty has mentioned.

Potentially, you now can't legally use the car the same way as you did/planned to etc, and one could easily argue that the value has dropped as a result, because it might very well matter a lot to the person who would otherwise have bought the car 2nd hand off you when the time comes.

I say 'potentially' because some might not care/never tow anything, and only use it for 2 adults 4 young kids and a dog... but others might have bought it to tow 2.95t, with 4 adults or 2+2 big kids, plus gear etc... One or two of them now has to walk/run beside the car!

LT or LTZ model Sam, and did they also reduce the GCM?
    Cheers
    Brendon

Brendon, there letter only refers to GVM, is GCM what I refer to as CVM. I'm surprised I haven't heard about either of the above two recalls being mentioned elsewhere.

I will get back with their response hopefully tomorrow.

Just had a look at the Holden website and the info on there states that the GVM is 2820kg and GCVW is 5700. Would have to go out to the car to see if this is any different. Could it just be a case of the labels being printed with the wrong info on it?
    https://www.holden.com.au/Satellite?...pplication/pdf
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

GCM is the correct acronym Sam, Gross Combination Mass, i.e. the maximum allowable total mass of the car + boat hitched together, both loaded with whatever gear/people, but each not allowed to exceed their own GVM or ATM/GTM ratings.

Yes I know, way too many acronyms hey!

Quote Originally Posted by gofishin View Post
    GCM is the correct acronym Sam, Gross Combination Mass,
    Holden likes to call that one GCVW just to be different.

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    Just had a look at the Holden website and the info on there states that the GVM is 2820kg and GCVW is 5700. Would have to go out to the car to see if this is any different. Could it just be a case of the labels being printed with the wrong info on it?
    https://www.holden.com.au/Satellite?...pplication/pdf
    Intresting, I will need to go back and see if I have the details from when I researched the vehicle.

Check your manual in the specifications section

Quote Originally Posted by ozynorts View Post
    Holden likes to call that one GCVW just to be different.
    That's the problem Ozy, everyone dreams up their own names/acronyms, but they all should be using the ones as defined by the Australian Design Rules, commonly referred to as ADR's.
    Cheers

Edit: I recall there maybe one common term they don't provide an ADR definition & acronym for - maybe this is it, hence why it has so many different names/acronyms everywhere you read. I have a list somewhere, will check it out.

Just found this site that allows you to look up any make and model and the info on there is the same as the Holden site.
    http://www.caradvice.com.au/compare-...en-colorado-7/

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Check your manual in the specifications section
    Have done that and there is no mention of GCM..

And here is a review from July 2015 of the Colorado 7 and the specs quoted there are what is on the Holden site so perhaps the cheap labour force in Thailand printed the wrong figures on these.
    http://www.tradeboats.com.au/trailer...-7-ltz-review/

It's misrepresentation. Office of Fair Trading will get the ball rolling...

Cheers

jim