Thread: Coxcraft pantera build help

Lightbulb Coxcraft pantera build help

Attachment 114077

This is is my 1985 coxcraft pantera, I bought it early last year and have had an absolute blast! I have already began overhauling a few bits and pieces to bring her back up to scratch as the engine was breathing very heavily, play in the leg and a noisy gimbal bearing! I'm waiting to get my engine back from machining so I can build it. It had a merc 5L but I have swapped it for a 5.7 (350ci) and rebuilding it to 383!

It has a mercruiser alpha one 260 sterndrive on it and it's the first time I've done any work on them! one part I'm having an issue with is getting the lower swivel pin out, I think it may be seized but I'm not sure if it just punches down or if it needs to be screwed out as the is a big slot in the underside to turn it! I had issues getting a seized split pin out of it and this led me to think the pin may be seized!

Secondly what are the options for getting the top pin out, I've seen people take the whole transom assembly out, use the plug kit, use the plate kit, deal with it from inside the boat but I'm not sure which path to take! I've tried from inside the boat and it seems to be border line impossible hahaha!

Any information would be greatly appreciated as I just want to do it without breaking anything by forcing it incorrectly and too hard!

I'll keep the thread going on the progress, I'm hoping to get it done by summer!

Re: Coxcraft pantera build help

Hey mate, to get your photo's to work on the forum you need to use the "Go Advanced" button, import the pics onto AF and then attach to your post.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

hopefully this works
    Attached Images Attached Images

Photo's came through.
    I just put a honda 250 4 stroke.
    Made myself a hardtop as well.
    Unsure about yours but I fitted trim tabs made a big difference.
    Enjoy it.

This is where I'm up too
    Attached Images Attached Images

Winning, got the bottom pin out (just seized in there)

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

What paint can you touch up the gimbal with?? Is there a mercruiser specific black paint???

Mercury Phantom Black

So it's been a little while haha but I was wondering how to go about choosing a new prop for the setup!! Is there any sort of process to go through to select the right one or any recommendations anyone could give me??

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

Built a new trailer

Put new carpet in

Finally got it in the water for run in and goes hard!! Will be continuing with mods throughout the year with new storage under the gunnels, upholstery, Bimini so I can walk under it, paint, gauges, bits and pieces

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums