Thread: Dealing with the Hazards Monday 22 August

Dealing with the Hazards Monday 22 August

With this winter bedeviled by rain, winds and storm cells you’ve got to go whenever weather permits. And when I looked at the forecast for Monday it was pretty obvious we had to go:

Down to Roseville boat ramp and meeting Murray and Mark – two fishos so keen they’d driven down from the Hunter for the day. Eastward ho! With a stop at the Centurion wreck for live bait (successful) and a stop at the Peak for a quick jig session (unsuccessful.) Out to Browns Mountain and stopped on the top while we rigged up and baited the Tanacom 750. As usual, the top of the plateau was as bare as a badgers’ backside:

But a scan of the humps and bumps showed where the fish were hiding:

Down went the baits and within 30 seconds this beauty hooked up:

A couple more drops and we found a patch of gemfish:

Despite the forecast for good weather all day, with a light northerly in the afternoon, the wind was starting to pick up fast from the west. Storm cells darkening the sky, to the point where I took off my sunglasses. I made the error of staying on point for a couple more drops despite alarm bells going off from the wind building fast from an unpredicted direction. By the time we finally bailed it was into the teeth of a nasty chop with breaking waves at times and foam streaks across the sea surface.

To add insult to injury, an icy cold rain fell on us most of the way back. Three hours back to the boat ramp and chilled to the bone, despite all three of us wearing wet weather gear. A good lesson for all about following the reality, rather than the forecast. Having said that I had a great day and looking forward to doing it all again, as soon as the weather clears.
    Cheers,
    Andy

Re: Dealing with the Hazards Monday 22 August

Great report Andy and some nice fish. I get what you mean about the weather forecast i seriously think the more technical we get the less accurate the forecast. I'm not sure of the exact "Greek" meaning of forecast but i think it might mean "Someone's Guesstimation". Anyhow thanks for the report.

Congratulations on the catch and safe return. A good reminder to all. Forecasts are guestimates (as said above), I've witnessed some big winds causing dangerous conditions that neither direction or strength were in the 'forecast' anywhere within days of the event. Very unpleasant. Also don't forget to put the PFD's on get some radio contact when there's heightened risk
    Cheers
    Rod

Quote Originally Posted by odieman150 View Post
    Great report Andy and some nice fish. I get what you mean about the weather forecast i seriously think the more technical we get the less accurate the forecast. I'm not sure of the exact "Greek" meaning of forecast but i think it might mean "Someone's Guesstimation". Anyhow thanks for the report.
    Thanks Odie! I blame myself though because I should have noticed the wind picking up from the west rather than the north, the forecast direction. What happens is, you get some blokes aboard who have come a long way to fish, and you don't want to let them down. Will be a lot tougher on all of us next time.