Thread: On the hunt for a 18ft dual axle caravan, ideas?

On the hunt for a 18ft dual axle caravan, ideas?

gday all I'm after a 18ft dual axle off road caravan. Now it must have double/queen for the wife and I, 2 bunks for the kids, shower and toilet combo inside. Ideally poptop but not a must. Most of all must be well built and stand the test of time. Now the only 2 ive found so far are the jayco starcraft OB 17.58-3 it ticks all the boxes but so many mixed reports about jaycos and lasting quality so makes me wonder. At $45k with the extras id want its cheap buying for the size and inclusions. The other was the goldstream 1760 ewb st with basically all the same things selling for around the $58k mark still waiting on confirmation. Havent seen one or heard to many bad reports.

The vans gvm must not be greater then 2400kg. I want to be able to tow it easy enough through some decent tracks and do a lot of free camping.

I want to know are there any others around the same pricing out there I should look at?

thanks guys talk soon.

J

Re: On the hunt for a 18ft dual axle caravan, ideas?

If you go a Jayco get the roof winding mechanism checked thoroughly.........and the wiring.......seen a few examples of screws put straight into wiring
    Goldstream are well regarded and hold up quite well to offroad travel, I had a 14ft one years ago and it copped a good flogging and held up well.

Not sure of the price but if you can get your hands on a bushmaster that would be the pick, but could be pricey. Have a squiz at some threads on MySwag, whilst its a CT forum most of the older guys are getting into caravans so you may find some answers over there.....you might find some secondhand units for sale on caravaners forum, but do yourself a favour and don't get to involved in the discussion, particularly the electrical threads.

Cheers

G'day jman
    If you have 80% of the market like jayco then it goes without saying you will have 80% of the complaints. The difference with Jayco is they have an excellent warranty and support network. Don't take my word for it, ring a service guy like BB caravan repairs at Brendale and ask them which van maker has the best after sales support. They are the selected service for a lot of the big brands.
    I started with a Jayco Swan outback currently have the 17.56.1 (no toilet or shower but loads of bench space-happy wife happy life)We pick up our new Jayco starcraft outback mid October.
    Jayco has a fully gal dipped chassis on their outbacks while others like Corrimal are only gal painted. If you are going on dirt roads or beach I recommend the hot gal dipped over paint as it more resistant to chipping etc
    Just my 2c worth
    My 17.56.1 OB is for sale post September holidays. Just sayin

Have a look at the Lotus range.
    Humility is not a weather condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Still_Dreamin View Post
    G'day jman
    If you have 80% of the market like jayco then it goes without saying you will have 80% of the complaints. The difference with Jayco is they have an excellent warranty and support network. Don't take my word for it, ring a service guy like BB caravan repairs at Brendale and ask them which van maker has the best after sales support. They are the selected service for a lot of the big brands.
    I started with a Jayco Swan outback currently have the 17.56.1 (no toilet or shower but loads of bench space-happy wife happy life)We pick up our new Jayco starcraft outback mid October.
    Jayco has a fully gal dipped chassis on their outbacks while others like Corrimal are only gal painted. If you are going on dirt roads or beach I recommend the hot gal dipped over paint as it more resistant to chipping etc
    Just my 2c worth

My 17.56.1 OB is for sale post September holidays. Just sayin

Very good point on the market shares you are correct I read the other day for every 2 caravans 1 is a jayco so they own a massive portion of the market and like you said with that turn around will be more complaints. I do believe people like to whinge sometimes about little things that are easily fixed.

mate your jayco sounds good but the wife needs a toilet and shower in the van, like you said happy wife happy life!

Quote Originally Posted by hungry6 View Post
    Have a look at the Lotus range.
    I have I didn't see one that has double/queen bed plus bunks and shower toilet at 18 foot.

Quote Originally Posted by NomadNoosa View Post
    If you go a Jayco get the roof winding mechanism checked thoroughly.........and the wiring.......seen a few examples of screws put straight into wiring
    Goldstream are well regarded and hold up quite well to offroad travel, I had a 14ft one years ago and it copped a good flogging and held up well.

Not sure of the price but if you can get your hands on a bushmaster that would be the pick, but could be pricey. Have a squiz at some threads on MySwag, whilst its a CT forum most of the older guys are getting into caravans so you may find some answers over there.....you might find some secondhand units for sale on caravaners forum, but do yourself a favour and don't get to involved in the discussion, particularly the electrical threads.

Cheers
    thanks mate ill check them out also

We compromised with a portapotti that we use at night and an external hot and cold shower. Reality is when bush camping water doesn't last long with shower. We have never had the toilet shower combo but people we camp with use it only as a toilet as they got sick of mopping up after showers so that it was dry to use as toilet. I guess I will find out when my new van arrives

We have a Jayco outback Basestation, it spent seven years up to the Pilibra and did a lap around Oz alas not with us we picked it 2nd hand. Pretty much every thing is still in pretty good nic, all the interior is still solid and the appliances all still going strong. Apart from general maintenance no issues except for a small water leak due to a bit of damaged silicone most likely a tree branch.
    Cheers
    azza

also look at the jayco work n play they come with a shower and toilet

Did you get a van?

We are currently travelling (in a camper) and the gold streams we have seen have not had any issues. Jaycos have had issues. The model goldstream you are referring to is an awesome van. Saw one a few days ago and was shown through it. We will be getting one eventually.