Thread: fish Id please

fish Id please

Got a heap of these in a dam at work near Gladstone and just wondering if anyone knows what they are. Closest I could find was a grunter.

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/...psjos3z0me.jpg

http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/...pssqsrgvfq.jpg

Re: fish Id please

Just looks like spangled perch I think.

Bingo. Thanks mate. Now to try and catch one on a hook.
    Would they go for spinner bait or blades?

You'd need to use quite small lures as spangles don't often get to any size.

So maybe a small popper?

Little blades do the trick usually. Try an ecogear zx30 if you can find one. Failing that they bite pretty hard just on earthworms.

Thanks I'll see how I go. There in a sand mine so the water is pretty clear but there's heaps of weed. I'm sure I saw one around the 20cm mark in there. There's heaps of water and I see pelicans getting fish all day so I might have a chance

Grasshoppers are the gun bait for them.
    Jack.

Try a bit of meat. Garden worms work real good. Even a bit of bullocks heart will catch them.

As kids in the bush, we used a small branch off a tree for a rod, a bit of cotton for a line and bent pin for a hook.
    Burn a small hole 5 mm. in dia. through a beer bottle cork, thread the line through, put a short tapered stick in to jamb the line tight about 400mm. above the hook.

I have caught them up to 300 mm. long on bait and small lures. Good fun on modern light gear and not bad on the plate.

Try a bit of meat. Garden worms work real good. Even a bit of bullocks heart will catch them.

As kids in the bush, we used a small branch off a tree for a rod, a bit of cotton for a line and bent pin for a hook.
    Burn a small hole 5 mm. in dia. through a beer bottle cork, thread the line through, put a short tapered stick in to jamb the line tight about 400mm. above the hook.

I have caught them up to 300 mm. long on bait and small lures. Good fun on modern light gear and not bad on the plate.

Great bait or a cod in western rivers dropped down beside a log in the river. Natural food for cod and if you can't get "Bobbies" eg. "Spangled Perch" in the river try a local farmers dam.

Have Fun Haji-Baba

Caught them on every lure I've used for bass in Baroon Pocket Dam, they take lures bigger than themselves