Thread: What's the most economical way of doing this?

What's the most economical way of doing this?

So I'm changing boats and taking my Simrad NSS12 (series 1) from old boat to new boat.
    The NSS12 does not have a sounder module, and on the original boat I've got it networked to a NSS7 and it works well for me. I want to leave the 7 in the original boat along with transducer to save on costs of pulling out etc.
    what are my options to fire up the 12 with sounding ability?
    I know I can buy a current NSS7 evo2, but there's a couple of grand. Is there any cheaper way out of it?
    Thanks
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

Re: What's the most economical way of doing this?

Add a BSM2 or 3 to it?
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Unfortunately the BSM2 has been discontinued and BSM3 is $1500. I'm thinking about trying to pickup a second hand NSS7?

Look harder, you can still find occasional BSM 2's around, so I hear.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/LOWRANCE-...AAAOSwrklU7krk
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

bsm3 will give you insane performance."that link was for a sonar hub. also a good unit " ausfish members can get a BSM3 for $1230or NSS7 evo2 units for $1720Moose

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

If I go the BSM3 chocolate dessert, what transducer should I run, bearing in mind I'm happy with the regular 200/50 unit. Does the bsm3 need a higher spec transducer to take advantage of its power?
    Re the nss7 Evo 2 , how much inc transducer and gold map?
    Thanks!

Can the older go7 be linked with nss?
    ...........GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO BAIT.........

No, not in a way that will allow sharing sounder/transducer functions. You would need a NSS series that can be ethernet networked.

Yer thought so ... it can be linked if you have vessel view 7 gauge wasn't shore if you could link to the nss
    ...........GOOD THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO BAIT.........

the go7 series only has NMEA2K capabilities allowing for data transfer from engines, isntruments etc. not high speed ethernet needed for BSM modules etc.

it can take a higher end transducer for sure. and of cause going to those heights will get heaps of performance gain but.all comes down to the budget

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Keep both simrads and buy something else cheaper to put in the cruisey that uses the same transducer.

Quote Originally Posted by outta line View Post
    Yer thought so ... it can be linked if you have vessel view 7 gauge wasn't shore if you could link to the nss
    GO7 has NMEA2000 networking so you can link it to any N2K network and can share data over that network protocol. So it will do engine data, and share GPS data and digital depth data. I have mine connected up to N2K and it shows engine data and I also use its faster GPS antenna as the data source to feed my old HDS5M gen 1 that is dash mounted. Works a treat.

But N2K doesnt share sonar, radar, transducers and any other data intensive stuff - that needs an ethernet connection (yellow cable usually), and GO7 aint got ethernet.

I think I've solved this by tracking down a second hand NSS8 for a fair price. Thanks for the info fellas

Moving into a Seafarer?

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Unicorn View Post
    Moving into a Seafarer?
    As Basil Faulty said "Don't mention the Seafarer! I mentioned it once, but I think I got away with it"