Thread: What's this thing thanks guys?

Ausfish Gold Member ThePinkPanther's Avatar

What's this thing thanks guys?

The pic is pretty hazy due it being in a hard place to get to but it has two heavy duty wires both going to different contacts on the back of the dual battery isolator switch and another one that has broken off and is hanging loose, I can't find the other end it originally connected to!It looks like a heat sink type of fitting ..........?It's bolted up under the rear of the inside transom area where a bench seat backrest goes. The motor is a Ford V8 Windsor 351 if that is any help at all.Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Re: What's this thing thanks guys?

Rectifier / Regulator ?
    Looks like a power transistor or a zener in the middle...might have a number you can google.
    If so, probably disconnected because modern alternators have them inbuilt.
    Actually on closer look I'd guess a zener or 2 ( primitive regulator)
    How did the Holley rebuild go?

At a guess it's a charge isolator. Essentially two heavy duty diodes to allow one charge source to charge two batteries without the batteries being able to feed into each other. Has the boat ever had a solar system or other onboard charger that was removed?

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    At a guess it's a charge isolator. Essentially two heavy duty diodes to allow one charge source to charge two batteries without the batteries being able to feed into each other. Has the boat ever had a solar system or other onboard charger that was removed?
    Thanks Scottar, I think you're on the money as it does have a solar panel on it though I think it's stuffed! The missing wire possibly goes to it but it's inaccessible unfortunately.

Think I'll just disconnect it as I have a new alternator and two shore mounted smart chargers, one for each battery, so can't see it doing any harm!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealPoMo View Post
    Rectifier / Regulator ?
    Looks like a power transistor or a zener in the middle...might have a number you can google.
    If so, probably disconnected because modern alternators have them inbuilt.
    Actually on closer look I'd guess a zener or 2 ( primitive regulator)
    How did the Holley rebuild go?
    Thanks for that, appears to be an old fashioned regulator hooked up to my solar panel but I'll disconnect it as with a new alternator and each battery having its own 240 V smart charger I can't see any use for it.

Re the Holley, found out the dropkick who did the first rebuild (somehow) fitted the wrong part in behind the secondary float chamber and caused all sorts of problems.

I found a local guy who manufactures his own racing Carby's and he did a top job of fixing it. Runs as smooth as now!

Thanks