Thread: Cracked guide.

Cracked guide.

Hey.
    I have a cracked guide on my favourite rod.
    It's a shimano bushy bait snapper 742.
    My mate finished rigging it and found that his line wasnt going through the guide on the tip. So after i laughed at him and called him a useless prick, he carefully re rigged to find his line not going through the guide again. We then found a tiny crack in it that allowed the line to pull through.
    How do you fix this? Can I do it myself? Anyone know where I could take it? It's probably 3 years old, would it be under warranty? Is it better off getting a new rod?
    First time I've busted a good rod, I have busted cheapies that I just replaced......

Ausfish Platinum Member

Re: Cracked guide.

Replacing line guides is really very easy and cheap. I've had to do plenty over the years. Just carefully cut the old bindings off with a very sharp blade,(good Stanley knife blade will do it) taking care not to score the blank. If it is a tip guide, apply a bit of gentle heat to get the guide off the tip. Tip guides are the easiest to replace, really, as most of them only have binding now for cosmetic appearance. Go to a tackle shop, buy one of exactly the right size to slide over the blank tip, apply with hot-melt glue, job done. Fuji used to do a hot-melt in a little container like those mini sun block applicators, just heat with a match, stick it on. DO NOT BE TEMPTED TO USE SUPERGLUE. It can react with some rod resins and the tip will snap like a matchstick next time you use it. DAMHIK.

Re: Cracked guide.

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    Replacing line guides is really very easy and cheap. I've had to do plenty over the years. Just carefully cut the old bindings off with a very sharp blade,(good Stanley knife blade will do it) taking care not to score the blank. If it is a tip guide, apply a bit of gentle heat to get the guide off the tip. Tip guides are the easiest to replace, really, as most of them only have binding now for cosmetic appearance. Go to a tackle shop, buy one of exactly the right size to slide over the blank tip, apply with hot-melt glue, job done. Fuji used to do a hot-melt in a little container like those mini sun block applicators, just heat with a match, stick it on. DO NOT BE TEMPTED TO USE SUPERGLUE. It can react with some rod resins and the tip will snap like a matchstick next time you use it. DAMHIK.
    Cheers mate. I'll have a go at this this arvo.
    Glen