Thread: Mourilyan Harbour / Etty bay

Question Mourilyan Harbour / Etty bay

Hi All

I'm planning our annual northern fishing adventure & as always we like to throw in a new destination . This time Mourilyan Harbour has got my attention - My understanding is that it has some good estuary fishing & some good inshore options to boot .

At this stage we are thinking of staying at Etty bay for a few days which looks like a lovely spot & is just a relatively short trip to the harbour .

We'll be there in early November & was hoping for some tips / advice on the area or anything else of note .

Appreciate any help

Chris

PS - I'll have my 5m Seajay Barramasta with me
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Mourilyan Harbour / Etty bay

You will love Mourilyan Harbour Chris, one of my favorite easy access areas.
    Pretty easy to nut out the place.
    I tend to not head offshore there, the estuary and creeks is where I enjoy it more.
    Jack.

http://www.fishingcairns.com.au/page3-10.html

That is a good write up Chris.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by tunaticer View Post
    You will love Mourilyan Harbour Chris, one of my favorite easy access areas.
    Pretty easy to nut out the place.
    I tend to not head offshore there, the estuary and creeks is where I enjoy it more.
    Thanks Tony

It captured my imagination the first minute I spotted it on a map ...... options for several styles of fishing & a chance to do some different fishing too. etty bay looks like a cool place to stay - cant wait
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by dnej View Post

David
    Thanks mate .... I'll have a read

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by dnej View Post

David
    November now feels a long long time ...... It does sound good

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hi Chris, I'll be doing the pilgrimage from late Sept. through Oct. and like you I've been looking at Mourilyan each time I go through there but haven't tried it yet. The reefs are fairly close there and I've got a few mates that tell me good things about the place. I hope to have a look out from there early to mid Oct. but it sounds like you'll be there a bit later. Went looking for wild cassowaries there on local advice when we stayed at Mission Bch, my wife's been disappointed that we haven't seen any on our yearly treks and I was starting to doubt their existence till we drove into Etty bay for lunch. Sure enough, there they were being hand fed at the picnic tables. Not exactly wild but almost. Seen a few since along the roads with chicks so keep an eye out. Definitely worth a look.

Quote Originally Posted by fishtragic View Post
    Hi Chris, I'll be doing the pilgrimage from late Sept. through Oct. and like you I've been looking at Mourilyan each time I go through there but haven't tried it yet. The reefs are fairly close there and I've got a few mates that tell me good things about the place. I hope to have a look out from there early to mid Oct. but it sounds like you'll be there a bit later. Went looking for wild cassowaries there on local advice when we stayed at Mission Bch, my wife's been disappointed that we haven't seen any on our yearly treks and I was starting to doubt their existence till we drove into Etty bay for lunch. Sure enough, there they were being hand fed at the picnic tables. Not exactly wild but almost. Seen a few since along the roads with chicks so keep an eye out. Definitely worth a look.

Thanks Tragic

Actually we have booked 4 nights at Etty Bay ...... so hope to give the place a good nudge ..... & who knows we may stay longer. Yeh I hear there are a few cassowaries at the caravan park ...... you can have them I had one kick at me when I was in PNG .... thankfully there was a chain wire fence between me and it - scary stuff

Mourilyan certainly reads well ..... fingers crossed for the weather .

I'll be looking for your report

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO