Thread: 1770 top water

1770 top water

Hi everyone,

Was wondering if anyone here throws poppers or stick baits for GTs, trout etc up around 1770. This is something I have been keen to do for a while now but don't really know where to start. I regularly get out to the Fitzroy/Lamont area and at times Sykes.
    I have fished the area for the last 10 years so I know it pretty well, but usually just bottom bounce. Top water is totally new to me and I have only ever done it once over in Exmouth and I am frothing to try it out of my own boat.
    Any tips or starting points would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Deeg

Re: 1770 top water

I know of a guy here that only fishes those areas for trout with poppers. Bait isn't allowed on his boat apparently and he seems to do well.
    Remember to always log on before heading offshore.

I had a crack at it last year, thinking the same there must be some GT's hiding around those reefs. did no good though..

Regards
    Honda.

Have seen some monsters cruising the eastern surf side of Musgrave whilst snorkelling.
    May only be there certain times of the year tho.
    Cheers Rob.

I've only ever fished musgrave once.
    Yeah honda that's what I thought too, you'd think there would be a few around there and the odd blue spot but I've never actually seen any there. I'm sure someone on here would chase them up that way. I imagine they'd fire up in the warmer months.

Haven't seriously attacked the topwater stuff, but had a few stabs with mixed results. Got a couple of big Red Bass on the SW side of Musgrave and had a couple of GT hits in the lagoon at Fitzroy. But have also done some casting along the outside edge of Fitzroy and Lamont for nothing. Some good looking water in the whole area, but haven't found a lot of fusies. Would like to have a proper go at it one day, but there's too many varied options in the area!
    fruit salad is the new Bacon

If you've got too much energy and you really want to use some up, I've nailed a few GT's on the SE and the west side of Fitzroy and the southern side of Sykes where the current boils up. Now don't come back whining at us when you lose your $35 popper and your arms are burning. It's for young fellas.

Quote Originally Posted by fishtragic View Post
    If you've got too much energy and you really want to use some up, I've nailed a few GT's on the SE and the west side of Fitzroy and the southern side of Sykes where the current boils up. Now don't come back whining at us when you lose your $35 popper and your arms are burning. It's for young fellas.
    haha yeah I think I'll have a crack next time I'm out there. Luckily I'm only 26.