Thread: garmin panoptix

garmin panoptix

Hi All.

So is anyone using the new Garmin Panoptix and how do you rate it. I am worried a little about the fact that it all looks good in all the controlled enviroments you see in the adds but how does it really go chasing fish in 15knot chop and a five meter rolling boat.?
    Love to here from the people that are ACTUALLY USING IT outside.

Re: garmin panoptix

hey mick. we have one installed on a demo boat of ours "5.4mt haines" and have taken it to port phillip bay heads a fair bit.

thoughts,,,,,,chop doesnt work very well for panoptix "or SS3D". perhaps with future heave compensation it will get better "this feature is being bought down the line in navico products with their new precision 9 rate compas "

the LIVEvu does work a fair bit better however.

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

Moose do you think it's worth the extra 2.3k or wait until they better the processor.

i dont think its processing. both the panoptix and most head units that view it are pretty powerful little machines. its simply new tech. it has come down a lot in price so thats a good sign for people wanting to adopt the new goodies thats for sure.

and then it would all come down to style of fishing. our pro angler fishers easturine and littoral waters.

www.moosemarine.com.au

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatemoose View Post
    and littoral waters.
    Say what? littoral waters? What language are you talking in Moose? Have you seen the light? Talk in Tongues?
    We don't need US style military speak thankyou. What the hell is it anyway? A new mouth wash?
    Ok I googled it and shock and horror its a real word! It means near to shore.
    Maybe we should all take up tech jargon from anywhere. My favourite is " Did you catch any Batrachoididae today?"
    From the Tetrodontidae family,Toadies.
    Maaaate, I can get more technical too.....

So what your saying is that for lowish speed , its great but it breaks up with a bit of speed or lumpy water.
    I guess I should hold off till the updates come around. Garmin no better I see. Hmmm

Yes I am having a boring start to the day, hehehe

hahahhaa . lol well its a word i did pick up living in florida but found it was very apt for the Gippsland region down here in victoria where i frequent.where you do have little creeks/inlets and rivers ... in salt water. leading into very large salt water lakes. but not quite coastal as its inside of the coast.. it was just a bit of a funny one and yeah the word sort of stuck. saying lakes.. people were amusing big fresh water inpoundments

so yep. at speed and lumpy it does get funky. however its a fast changing game. the garmin system i feel has a lot of muscle behind it. and its prob fairly under utalised at this stage. better to underwhelm people than to disapoint.

that being said at the navico training last week . navico has some interesting things with its 3d coming soon.

Moose

www.moosemarine.com.au

Hi moose I was thinking of the panoptix for soft plastic work in coastal waters snapper fishing or trolling slow live Baits for Mackrell plus kings or even looking for bait balls holding under the surface either side of the boat but as i said all the you tube stuff is all vision of really calm water stuff not sloppy ocean stuff so your feed back is great

its something i think will be addressed. we have it fitted up to a polycraft fishing in the vic bream series and its been sensational for flicking plastics and vibes.
    i think the heaving issue will be addressed in the coming year perhaps with compensation from the 9axis reactor system or similar.
    same process simrad is going through with its 3d system

www.moosemarine.com.au