Thread: Garmin GPSMAP 800 Series - Marking cursor position whilst in measure mode.

Garmin GPSMAP 800 Series - Marking cursor position whilst in measure mode.

Hi Guys,
    I have changed from Lowrance to Garmin chartplotter & Garmin doesn't seem to have a feature I am used to from the Lowrance days. Whilst in measure mode, i.e. measuring between 2 points, is there a way to mark or navigate to cursor position whilst in this measure mode/screen. This is of great use when anchoring & getting onto the right spot/reef/bommie ect. At the moment I have to write down the gps co-ordinates & then exit from measure mode & move cursor to the recorded co-ordinates & then hit navigate to. Any of you guys found a way to do this easier?
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    SF565 Southwind with F115 Yamaha 4 Stroke.

Re: Garmin GPSMAP 800 Series - Marking cursor position whilst in measure mode.

G'day
    I think you just push select once you have the cursor at the desired destination, then select navigate to
    Cheers
    Rod

Garmin GPSMAP 800 Series - Marking cursor position whilst in measure mode.

Hi Rod, what you have explained only works in normal mode, once you go into measure mode the select button doesn't bring up any screen, only the menu screen. Pics attached.

First screen shot is in measure mode, only 2 options to choose. 2nd screen shot is the screen when menus is hit, again no navigate option.

Just not sure Garmin has this option. On Lowrance when you were in measure mode you could just navigate to cursor.

Cheers Dave.

IMG_1742.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, I didn't read the question properly. I'll have a fiddle with my 1000 later, but sounds like it doesn't work. Give garmin support a call and suggest they add that function. They are very receptive,(now aus based) a couple of suggestions I made came through in the upgrades. In fact one was a great improvement on the function I suggested from my previous Lowrance touch 9, ie they created the boundary function with bells and whistles, previously I just created and displayed routes for the no take zones
    Cheers
    Rod

Yep sounds like it, I have sent an email to support, will follow up with phone call.

I saw the boundary option, good idea! At least blue chart has green zones shaded. I did the same with routes when I had Lowrance.

Thanks, will keep playing, maybe my needed feature will be in the next update.
    Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Tinshack View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I have changed from Lowrance to Garmin chartplotter & Garmin doesn't seem to have a feature I am used to from the Lowrance days. Whilst in measure mode, i.e. measuring between 2 points, is there a way to mark or navigate to cursor position whilst in this measure mode/screen. This is of great use when anchoring & getting onto the right spot/reef/bommie ect. At the moment I have to write down the gps co-ordinates & then exit from measure mode & move cursor to the recorded co-ordinates & then hit navigate to. Any of you guys found a way to do this easier?
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    are you trying to add a waypoint at where the measured distance is?

if so if you go when in charts "menu - waypoints and tracks - waypoints - new waypoint - use chart " the distance is shown under the lat/long of the curser
    the curser shows the distance all the time tbh. ??

Moose

Marine outfitting solutions
    www.moosemarine.com.au

What I want to do is drop anchor/mark waypoint, let boat sit back on anchor with tide/wind. Measure distance from boat position to anchor, distance & bearing. Then use this distance & bearing & measure up from selected fishing spot/waypoint to drop anchor. This process allows you to anchor right on the spot for current tide n wind conditions. Hope that explanation is as clear as mud! The only way I have found at the moment is to measure it & remember the co-ordinates, then move cursor to co-ordinates & navigate to, then drop anchor.

The distance you refer to is from current boat position & not from 2 separate locations.

G'day Tinshack
    I never thought of that strategy for anchoring, could be useful. I upgraded the software in my units to the latest yesterday and gave it a shot unsuccessfully. Seems logical to be able to measure distance to a point and then have 'navigate to' available. I'm sure it will be a welcome suggestion. Nothing like hearing positive responses and actions to feedback, unlike the previous overseas call center. Garmin match my great experience with Lowrance support now
    I might give your method a shot when the upgrade comes out
    Cheers
    Rod

Will it let you enter a waypoint at the cursor while in measure mode. If it does you may just have to enter a temporary waypoint and then delete it once you are done

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Will it let you enter a waypoint at the cursor while in measure mode. If it does you may just have to enter a temporary waypoint and then delete it once you are done
    No it doesn't, would be ok if it did. I want either waypoint or go to cursor.

Response from Garmin support;

Hi Dave,
    Thank you for contacting Garmin Support Australasia.
    In the current software version on the 820xs there is not a mark option within the Measure mode. The best way to facilitate this would be to note the coordinates and then enter them as a new waypoint and input the values.
    If you would like to suggest this as a feature for future software versions you can do so by submitting a recommendation using this link: http://www8.garmin.com/contactUs/ideas/
    If you have any further inquiries please contact the Garmin Service Centre on 1800 235 822 (AUS) on 0800 427 652 (NZ) Between the hours of 08:30am – 05:00pm Sydney Time so we can address your issue directly.
    Kind Regards,
    Jacob Cramer

So I added my comments to the ideas web link, fingers crossed it may be in the next software update!!!

Dave.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk