Thread: Boating Permits to be abolished on Somerset and Wivenhoe

Boating Permits to be abolished on Somerset and Wivenhoe

In a bonus for boaties, the Palaszczuk Government today announced that Seqwater would phase out boating permits for Wivenhoe and Somerset dams by 1 July 2017.

Energy and Water Supply Minister Mark Bailey said he was pleased to announce the phasing out of the permits as a measure to cut red tape, lower costs to the community and provide an additional incentive for the community to enjoy both lakes.

“Over the next year, the annual boating permit fee of $100 will be reduced on a pro rata basis, calculated on the number of months remaining until the scheme concludes.

“Until that date, boaties with vessels registered by the Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads or that would normally be transported on a trailer due to size, will still need a Seqwater boating permit to access either lake.

“By removing this financial barrier, we hope it encourages more people to visit and enjoy lakes Somerset and Wivenhoe.”

Seqwater Chief Executive Officer Peter Dennis said this was just another example of Seqwater simplifying its systems and making recreation accessible to more people.

“Discontinuing boating permits which only operated at two of our many boating lakes will provide a more consistent approach to boating access across all of our lakes where boating is permitted.’’

Current permits will remain applicable until they expire. Pro rata yearly and weekly permits will remain on sale until 30 June 2017.

Boating permits can be purchased at a number of locations. For more information visit the Boating page at seqwater.com.au

Boating permits are not required for kayaks, canoes and similar paddlecraft.

Minister for Main Roads, Road Safety and Ports and Minister for Energy, Biofuels and Water Supply
    The Honourable Mark Bailey
    Dale

I fish because the little voices in my head tell me to

Re: Boating Permits to be abolished on Somerset and Wivenhoe

Good news, one less fee.

They will make up for it in the new sips fees..
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

SIP fees have nothing at all to do with SEQWater. Increased SIP fees will be distributed to the Stocking Groups putting the fish in the dams recently added to the scheme.
    Dale

Good result.
    Cheers
    Ray

this sort of leaves North Pine on its own in requiring a permit.
    Dale

All under review by SEQ Water and nothing will change until QMRA completed.
    Cheers
    Ray