Thread: Sunday Northern Moreton Bay

Sunday Northern Moreton Bay

Went for an early run with Max (Pros) across Moreton Bay today. After yesterdays effort we were keen to chase the Longtails that were about. We found the schools of herring, jigged a few up, sent them back down as live bait and wasnt long at all before Max had a Longtail Tuna in the boat, a few more drifts, another Tuna and a Black Spot Cod. Enough fish in the boat for a feed again, a quick look around Tangalooma and home by 1pm.
    Another great day on Moreton Bay

The Rainbowrunner
    Peter Hansler
    phansler@hotmail.com
    Click here for my webpage
    Click here for my videos

Give a man a fish, he'll eat it and fall asleep.

Teach a man to fish and he'll endanger an entire species

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Re: Sunday Northern Moreton Bay

Were you dropping the baits down to the bottom or suspending them in the bait schools (if the schools were mid water)?

Were you finding a rig that worked best?

Sounds like a great weekend in fishing wise, can't complain with action like that.

Quote Originally Posted by jackson4300 View Post
    Were you dropping the baits down to the bottom or suspending them in the bait schools (if the schools were mid water)?

Were you finding a rig that worked best?
    We try to fish with baits on the bottom middle and top, probably a higher percentage of tuna are taken with surface baits tho hooked through the nose and a long way from the boat. Bait schools were on the bottom mainly but very thick.
    The Rainbowrunner
    Peter Hansler
    phansler@hotmail.com
    Click here for my videos

Amazing effort guys.. A dream of mine to catch a tuna like that in our bay!

I have the means... (boat and gear) - but would give anything to know even where to start to catch a tuna like that in our bay..

Some of my best memories fishing have been catching these tuna off Yeppoon.

Can you give me any ideas re/- where in Northern Bay we can catch Tuna like this?

I have tried around 4 beacons - did OK with spotty mackeral - but no tuna.

Roughly what depth do you fish at?

You try to have floated as well as sunk baits I understand - do you have a bait that works best?

I have jigged herring around the shit shoot as I leave the mouth of Brissy river - but even with live well on - they are usually dead by the time I get over to Moreton. I have mixed success of jigging livies from the beacons..

I have found / marked plenty of structure / reef around northern end of Moreton (20m water comes up to like 3 - 4m etc and then back down, maybe 2km West off moreton island) - but doesnt seem to have much action on sounder..

Would love to hear some tips from you, either here or PM - would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Brad.

Quote Originally Posted by Braddles View Post

Would love to hear some tips from you, either here or PM - would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Brad.
    Measured Mile to Kaptjain Nielsen is a good start, look for birds and bait on the sounder, we are fishing for them in about 30-40ft of water
    , no real structure just looking for bait schools on what I call the flats. Pike and herring and Pike, . . .did I mention Pike?but if they are feeding on herring we use them too. Both hooked through the nose. Herring are jigged up in the same areas we fish or around markers. Some like to do long drifts I like to find the bait and just keep drifting through them.

The Rainbowrunner
    Peter Hansler
    phansler@hotmail.com
    Click here for my videos

That live bait tank is very clever. Thanks for sharing.

Cuzza