Thread: Fitzroy long weekend.

Fitzroy long weekend.

I finally made it up to 1770 for the second year in a row. My mate and I have been waiting for a good break in the weather for a few months now and last weekend was a goer. We left Brissy on Friday morning and returned on Monday evening. We arrived at Fitzroy about 4.30 Friday and spent the night outside on the reef in about 40-50m of water for very little reward. We managed a 4kg trout on sunset but the fish shutdown all night. Saturday was a bit choppy and finding fish wasn't an issue but getting them to take a bait was. We struggled through the day and found some great marks east of Fitzroy but still struggled to get a bite so we called it early and went in to the lagoon and had a clean up, dinner and a few runs to regroup.
    Sunday was a perfect day weather wise and we hit the 100m line, finally the fish were hungry, we managed some pearlies, snapper to 71cm, a 4.5kg trout, and made our way exploring back to the 40m line where we found those good shows on Saturday. The place was alive, I was landing RTE and Hussar while my mate was getting smoked by Spanish. Bonito were busting up around us and even a couple of whales stopped to say hello. We caught fish up until sunset and I called it after landing a 1.1m 8.5kg Spanish.
    Unfortunately no Reds for the trip but with 45 fish between the 2 of us and the first 4 trout ever caught on the bout, smallest at 3kg and biggest going 4.5kg we were pretty happy.
    The trip back on Monday was terrible heading south into a choppy, white capping southerly wind. Painful and slow to say the least.

Plastics fantastic but bait is better.

Re: Fitzroy long weekend.

Great report & pics!! We fished the Friday in a glass out only to wake to a 20kt NW on Saturday!!

Tony

Good haul well done

Great job mate, well done, smiles say it all

Great report mate and well done with the fish. Awesome place to fish up there. Miss it having come back to Brisbane after 4 years there. Envy you getting 4 days off to fish the area. Great size trout to