Thread: Installing new fuse panel!

Ausfish Gold Member ThePinkPanther's Avatar

Question Installing new fuse panel!

I've got a 20 year old Whittley Cruisemaster where the electrics were an absolute disgrace in those days. Wires and cables were just chucked in any old fashion!

I have to replace the fuse panel but on the new one I have purchased there is no earth connection. Just one straightforward positive connection with the various outlets going direct to the equipment accessories.

Some of these are marine radios, AM/FM radio, dome lights, anchor winch and wipers.

However, on the old fuse panel I have a multitude of earth connections. One main wire goes direct to a common earthing point behind the instrument panel and the other devices also have their own earthing wire to a common bus rail in addition to their respective positive connections.

Thing is, can I just swap the positive terminal from each item over to the (powered) new fuse panel without its old earth? I've never seen a fibre glass boat with so many earth wires, must be at least 15 all hooked up together.

Thanks

Re: Installing new fuse panel!

Did the old panel have indicator lights. The extra negatives may be for them. Each dc powered device should only have one negative.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Did the old panel have indicator lights. The extra negatives may be for them. Each dc powered device should only have one negative.
    Thks for reply! Nope, just the ones I mentioned above like dome lites, radios etc.

Might help to take a quick pic

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Thats is for sure! Each switch has a red inbuilt light ......... great advice, thanks!