Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: 7.4m Assassin HT Rebuild/Upgrade (AKA Snowball)

Re: 7.4m Assassin HT Rebuild/Upgrade (AKA Snowball)

The new screen shouldn't be an issue with vis in full sunlight but heat can still damage them. If you lay it back on that sort of angle, the brow required to keep glare off the screen will be quite large. Easiest way I have found to mock up a console is cardboard and tape

A bit of an update..

Had a bit of a holiday so not much has been physically achieved. I'm into the upholstery now, cutting, glueing and getting all the pieces ready for the professional to do the stitch work. I used a combination of closed cell, open cell foam and recycled the old foam from the seats. the denser closed-cell distributes the load to the softer open cell so you dont sink into the foam and provides plenty of support, I use the front edge of the seat base as a leaning post whilst driving so Ive wrapped the closed cell around the front to provide support in this area too. If I had direct access to a supplier I would have just run with a thicker piece in the bases instead of layers but on the last trip down to Perth I could only fit one sheet of foam in the Grand, with everything else I had, and had to opt for the thinnest thickness I needed which was 38mm. It would have been cheaper too as being so porous it absorbs alot of glue which comes at a cost.

Coaming blosters are 38+5mm EVA Blue
    Bases 50+38+10mm EVA Blue top and bottom
    Backs 5mm EVA (Bottom) + 38 + 10mm EVA Blue top

This will all be mounted on 9mm marine ply and fixed using stainless T nuts and bolts. One problem I've stopped the bolsters 700mm short of the transom but they are still 3075mm long I want them as one piece but marine ply only comes in 2400mm lengths so I'm thinking of different options, maybe some sort of manufactured poly cladding board I can cut down.

Once I drop the upholstery off, I will jump into the electrical. I now have a clearer plan/idea and am just waiting for a few things to arrive, but most of it has. The attached plan isn't quite complete but gives you an idea of the circuits.

I've change plans with the electronics after moose brought my attention to the stand alone Simrad units S2009, R2009 and some info regarding the EVO 3's leaked. I will now be running
    - NSS16 + S2009 + R2009 (only $400 more then twin 12's)
    - HALO 3
    - NAC-2 AP Computer, HS60 GPS Compass, RPU-80 Pump (dont think I will get the AP44 controller seems pointless with the OP40 and NSS16)
    - OP40 controller (cab)
    - HS35 VHF
    - RS35 Handheld VHF
    - SonicHub 2
    - Go Free WIFI
    - Network Expansion Port
    - OP50 controller for spotting station
    - Structure Scan 3D
    - SS175-HW
    - I will add a SS175M and BSM4 next year when I do my deeper trips

I managed to sell the NSS12, 1kw tranny, 4G radar and through hull Structure scan for almost (kind off) what I paid for it on the agreement I would give the fella a hand to install and only lost a few hundred dollars on the AP pack. The blow was softened when I found out a good childhood mate, I hadn't seen in a while, now works for BCF and they get a hell of a staff discount . The fellas I sold the gear too are also great blokes and will probably keep in touch with them to which is a bonus.

**note the cardboard protecting the table, learnt my lesson after I ended up in the dog house last time, when the glass in the old one exploded as I tried to quickly buzz some mild steel together with the welder. It was only a cheapy we were given 2nd hand a few years ago but it made a hell of a mess. One minute I'm welding away and then bang the work piece disappears to the floor and there is little glass squares (safety glass) everywhere. Hind site I should of known better and stupid thing to do
    Attached Images Attached Images

1600km trip home with not much room for anything else. pup was over it after the first couple hrs...
    Attached Images Attached Images

A quick thread he says!
    Obviously living remotely makes you think of self sufficiency, both renovating the boat and cruises into the Kimberly.
    I like your style mate, top job so far with everything. As with many others, looking forward to seeing the end result as well as the cruises into the Kimberly's.

The Brits have been using legs to stabilise their boats when sitting on the hard, for many years. Like you, huge tidal variations.
    Keep up the good work!

How's it all going mate? Really liking this thread

Well after putting it away for 6 months and busying myself with other projects I realised summer is only around the corner and the idea of working on it instead of using it during 40c+ heat wasnt very appealing.

The first step was to give it a thorough pressure washing.. more updates to follow...

Attachment 115974Attachment 115975

any updates?