Thread: surf tailor lures

surf tailor lures

Need to buy my brother a birthday present. He is a keen on headland surf spinning for tailor.
    I Would like to get opinions on your favorite spinning lure.
    Thanks David

Re: surf tailor lures

wonder wobbler

Don't know about tailor lures but a whole pilchard on a set of ganged hooks works a treat.

What colour and which weight wobbler for spinning.?
    David

Tailor are pretty simple feeders, anything that resembles a bait fish will work, so depending on how far he needs to cast, will determine how big (heavy) the lure can be, as does his line of course, back in the "old days" the simple Arrows were the go to lure, just a long thin cylinder of metal usually chromed, some were a hex shape, but it made no difference, we used to make our own from stainless rod, 6 and 8mm diameter (1/4,5/16")

Quote Originally Posted by dnej View Post
    What colour and which weight wobbler for spinning.?
    David
    silver/chrome

around 40-50mm along and whatever weight he's comfortable to cast with his rig as they come in different thicknesses. Tailor just go for shiny moving objects. As Noel said, they're not that fussy.

55g & 70g halco twisties are my faves

As just Chips stated, Halco Twisties, (or imitations), are probably the best - although need to be retrieved slowly, as they can blow out of the water on a fast retrieve, which is often necessary to trigger a strike. In that case, a slim metal profile of around 30 to 50gms will work well - and cast a long way too! Think Halco Outcasts, Gillies Pilchards in chrome and similar styles.
    I spin for Tailor and Salmon around the Merimbula region quite often, and have taken to using heavier plastic-bodied stickbaits of around 10-12cm, and 30gms as well. These will often pull little kingies, frigates and bonito at times. Whatever you use, just make sure to swap out the trebles for singles. Far better holding power on those jumps and headshakes!

Thank you all for the much appreciated. replies. I went with the Halco twisty, 30 gram and 55 gram. I did so, not only on the recommendations, but also the award they had won.
    So, his present of a total of six lures. That is going to cost him a tailor or two. He has just retired and lives at Burleigh heads.
    Some of the videos were also very well done.
    Thanks again
    David

Quote Originally Posted by EdBerg View Post
    Don't know about tailor lures but a whole pilchard on a set of ganged hooks works a treat.
    Glad you went with the lure option, not sure how receiving your brother would have been if you wrapped up a whole ganged pilchard in pressie paper!

I do second the comment though, ganged pilchard and unweighted if possible will pay off when not using lures.