Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Devilcat project resto

Re: Devilcat project resto

Quote Originally Posted by PROS View Post
    Makes me question my decision with trailer choice as I ordered a trailer with standard skids.
    Don't be too worried mate. The skids only start rubbing hard into the tell coat when they get really old and get hard. It was happening to mine until recently and the skids were likely there from new 1997. So if you just think keep an eye on them and check them say every time you do your wheel bearings skids are fine.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

It's something to consider. Have a look at the photos of my cat in this thread and you'll see what I mean. Every time I see at cat trailer at a ramp I go and have a look at the skids and I've seen a few with early signs of gel coat wear on the skids. I think the skids need to be changed more often than most people do, they do go hard after time.

image1.jpgFullSizeRender.jpgIt's been awhile since I've updated the thread. The topside and deck have been stripped of all hardware and fittings. The windscreen and targa have been removed. It's all had a rub back and the once with the cut n polish. I've had a back problem that took three months to diagnose properly and I'm now recovering from back surgery so not a lot has been done until yesterday when my best mate came around to pump out the rain water in the fuel tank area in the sponsons. Then he fitted some deck inspection covers over the fuel tank positions. And he also temp sealed up the mounting holes for the seat boxes. That's one less thing to worry about.

2C4E12CE-589C-433B-BC17-EF04F606A25A.jpg255BBFE6-6DEE-4169-A55C-3991F1626B33.jpg692EF8AE-B806-4930-955E-069D77A85607.jpgWell 7 months off last year due to back surgery slowed things up but now we are back into the swing. Motors fitted up and trail run of windscreen frame.
    Now the buy of the big list of items to finish her!

I like it. You could easily turn this into a hard top but it looks nice as it sits well done on your handy work

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    I like it. You could easily turn this into a hard top but it looks nice as it sits well done on your handy work
    Yeah thought about making a hardtop out of a fibreglass Ute lid but the standard canopy is soo simple I’ll stick with it!

Mup put anice big radar on the top some stickers down the side it would look like a police boat scare a few crab pot pullers haha

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    mup put anice big radar on the top some stickers down the side it would look like a police boat scare a few crab pot pullers haha
    🤣🤣lmao!!!!!

Ausfish Platinum Member

Going back to the early post about the spring failure causing axle to come away one side and do a lot of damage--were these those single-leaf gal slipper springs that people insist on fitting, because they are "better" on boat trailers? Apart from the fact you can't have a proper load sharing tandem setup with them, and they are just a rubbish cheap way of going tandem, you have seen their really major downside--when they break, through the locating pin, you have nothing left to locate the axle, and real damage happens. It's happened to me, hard lesson learned--with multi-leaved springs, you'll have a wrap to at least keep it located until you realise, hopefully, that something is wrong. I've seen it happen to at least one other bloke, too, so this is not an isolated incident.

apart from that, great resto, and a good boat.

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post
    Going back to the early post about the spring failure causing axle to come away one side and do a lot of damage--were these those single-leaf gal slipper springs that people insist on fitting, because they are "better" on boat trailers? Apart from the fact you can't have a proper load sharing tandem setup with them, and they are just a rubbish cheap way of going tandem, you have seen their really major downside--when they break, through the locating pin, you have nothing left to locate the axle, and real damage happens. It's happened to me, hard lesson learned--with multi-leaved springs, you'll have a wrap to at least keep it located until you realise, hopefully, that something is wrong. I've seen it happen to at least one other bloke, too, so this is not an isolated incident.

I don't know what type they were, they were replaced before I bought it. I'd say that it was just neglect that caused the failure, the previous owner wasn't real flash on up keep!

Quote Originally Posted by ranmar850 View Post

Ranmar i thought those single leaf springs were for light duty like jetski trailers or basic 7x4 box trailers and stuff i never actually seen or heard of anyone using them on a tandem trailer yikes!

Ausfish Platinum Member

yeah, the trailer I had under the 600cc quintrex i had a couple of boats ago had them. Busted one on a bad road, as the broken side went back it bent the axle , ripped up the tyre and removed a guard. And, because all the weight of the bending axle was on the mounting of the intact spring, had to replace that too. And that was from it letting go at 40km/hr.
    Trailer manufacturers still offer this on their cheaper trailers--Easytow, for example, have their basic 2200/1999 kg trailer with it. A good design, apart from that, good arrangement of supports and all C-channel and angle. So I went up to 2900/2700 kg, which got me 14" wheels, full load sharing rock/roller with all greaseable shackles, and heavier frame materials. And a lot more money...

I never thought 40kph would bend a axle!!! Yeah a lot of people talk about galvanized springs and how the heating process effects them and they tend to break i think a lot of the people were referring to the single springs u only get once chance of it breaking, there is talk about not using galvanized springs on general use trailers like car trailers it makes u wonder why they would be on a boat trailer after all boats can be heavier than cars i think that is why a few manufacturers these days are using torsion axles but boy are they expensive and not easily to find either, i guess i u have thebig bucks or a 2-3T boat u can afford the luxuries of the torsion axle lol

Re: Devilcat Project Resto

Been awhile since I’ve posted up anything! Finally bought some 90etecs for the old girl, fixed the dive door , screwed down the floor and cored out the old ones. Fixed the screen and replaced glass. Now got to finish floor plates and flowcoat, then rewire and put it all back together!

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app

[attach=config]118492[/attach
    Attached Images Attached Images