Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Devilcat project resto

Re: Devilcat project resto

How are those barrels coping with the weight? are they full inside?

All painted and now ready for pin stripes. Can anyone recommend any products or suppliers of marine pin striping?
    Attached Images Attached Images

are you rolling it or spraying?

Rolled and tipped with brush. I'm happy with the finish but if I was to do it again I'll rub back undercoat more to achieve a better finish.
    Spraying was not an option as don't have the room or the right equipment. It's all been done on my 9x4mtr driveway.
    When I look back over the photos of the hulls before I started and now I'm rapped. Now I just have to make the deck and topside look as good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mupster View Post
    Rolled and tipped with brush. I'm happy with the finish but if I was to do it again I'll rub back undercoat more to achieve a better finish.
    Spraying was not an option as don't have the room or the right equipment. It's all been done on my 9x4mtr driveway.
    When I look back over the photos of the hulls before I started and now I'm rapped. Now I just have to make the deck and topside look as good.
    How does the finish look after you rolled but before tipping with brush?

I will spray below the gunnel plastic line however thinking of just rolling above the plastic and inside the cabin area.
    What is the point of brush tipping? rolling leaves line marks?
    I was hoping just rolling will end up with egg shell type finish without any noticeable line marks.

Quote Originally Posted by PROS View Post
    How does the finish look after you rolled but before tipping with brush?

I will spray below the gunnel plastic line however thinking of just rolling above the plastic and inside the cabin area.
    What is the point of brush tipping? rolling leaves line marks?
    I was hoping just rolling will end up with egg shell type finish without any noticeable line marks.
    This is my first attempt at painting a boat and the finish very good but, it could have been better!
    The two part paint is formulated to gel to itself as you paint. The idea of rolling and then tipping is to get a constant thickness of the coat. The tipping sort of stretches the paint back on its self and then it gels together to form a sprayed on look without lumps, brush strokes or lines. The trick is to thin the paint correctly and pick the weather to paint in. Start early morning and use small 150mm rollers with a short fabric nap not foam, foam tends to break up.
    I mix the paint in a 2ltr bucket with lid and when it's ready I pour some into the paint tray and a small amount into small container with a 50mm brush. Put the lid back on bucket.
    First I roll in an up and down, left to right area of about 600mm wide and then simply use the brush with paint wiped on container and use right to left strokes always ending back on the painted sided. You can see it gel in front of your eyes to a smooth glossy finish.
    The trick to a perfect finish is the prep. I used Norglass paints, first Shipshape undercoat and then Northane top coat, but you must rub back the undercoat to a smooth finish with wet n dry paper. The first undercoat you can sand back by machine but the second coat is by hand with the wet n dry. That was my mistake, I rubbed back first coat by hand with wet n dry to a smooth finish but only scuffed up the second coat and some of the inconsistencies showed through. It's worth the effort the finish is like glass if done right.
    My hulls had lots of damage that I'd repaired and having not enough time to do it I rushed the end part but it still looks 1000 times better.
    As I've said before I went down the roll n tip method because of space and a expose agregate drive I didn't want to have over spray on. Painting upside down is easier with a roller to.
    Do you have pics of your beast? Where are you from?
    Thanks.

This is my first attempt at painting a boat and the finish very good but, it could have been better!
    The two part paint is formulated to gel to itself as you paint. The idea of rolling and then tipping is to get a constant thickness of the coat. The tipping sort of stretches the paint back on its self and then it gels together to form a sprayed on look without lumps, brush strokes or lines. The trick is to thin the paint correctly and pick the weather to paint in. Start early morning and use small 150mm rollers with a short fabric nap not foam, foam tends to break up.
    I mix the paint in a 2ltr bucket with lid and when it's ready I pour some into the paint tray and a small amount into small container with a 50mm brush. Put the lid back on bucket.
    First I roll in an up and down, left to right area of about 600mm wide and then simply use the brush with paint wiped on container and use right to left strokes always ending back on the painted sided. You can see it gel in front of your eyes to a smooth glossy finish.
    The trick to a perfect finish is the prep. I used Norglass paints, first Shipshape undercoat and then Northane top coat, but you must rub back the undercoat to a smooth finish with wet n dry paper. The first undercoat you can sand back by machine but the second coat is by hand with the wet n dry. That was my mistake, I rubbed back first coat by hand with wet n dry to a smooth finish but only scuffed up the second coat and some of the inconsistencies showed through. It's worth the effort the finish is like glass if done right.
    My hulls had lots of damage that I'd repaired and having not enough time to do it I rushed the end part but it still looks 1000 times better.
    As I've said before I went down the roll n tip method because of space and a expose agregate drive I didn't want to have over spray on. Painting upside down is easier with a roller to.
    Do you have pics of your beast? Where are you from?
    Thanks.
    Thanks Mupster,
    I sprayed my previous boat with 2-pac epoxy primer and polly top coat.
    Before top coat, I applied very light black guide coat and sanded down, definitely helps to achieve great finish.

I don't mind the hardwork of spraying bellow gunnel rubber line since it doesn't get scratched but above that I was hoping for a quicker app.
    Might as well spray the lot I guess.

Still waiting for the trailer to finish to get the Sharkcat out of water.
    Located in Brighton/Brisbane

PROS
    Nothing beats playing with boats, I love it. Good luck with your cat, I only noticed the other day that I have been following your project but never took notice of the author. Melb to QLD is a bit far for a chin wag!

Stripped the deck and top sides today ready for the next stage.

Started the trailer refurb last week too!

Trailer guide and rollers finished, now for rewire and brakes.

Nice going.
    BigE

Trailer guide and rollers finished, now for rewire and brakes.
    What made you choose rollers instead of flat skids?

The trailer had skids from new and they eventually rubbed through the gel coat!

The trailer had skids from new and they eventually rubbed through the gel coat!
    Makes me question my decision with trailer choice as I ordered a trailer with standard skids.