Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Devilcat project resto

Re: Devilcat project resto

Quote Originally Posted by Flex View Post
    On nice,
    I'm interested as my sharkcat was repainted a while ago and needs a could of spots resprayed. I'm unsure what paint was used originally so not sure what to use over the top. are most 2 pacs compatible?
    What paint are you using for it?
    I'll find out what brand as I'm not doing the painting myself. I assume any 2 pack would work! No idea what mine was originally painted with but I'm glade its white, the old gelcoat colour is a yellow beige, yuck!

Most 2k are compatible, if in doubt you could do a tie coat before the top coat with and epoxy primer

Flex,
    The paint is 2pk Protec Paraglaze G101 White. From SA company.

Quote Originally Posted by Mupster View Post
    Flex,
    The paint is 2pk Protec Paraglaze G101 White. From SA company.
    cheers for that!

Been too busy too update but now I'll post some pics of the repairs completed and waiting on me to do the next step.
    Attached Images Attached Images

This is the next step to rub back the tunnel and under both sponsons. Took a few hours last week to get her off the trailer. Trailer is in great nick for a 27yr old but the Teflon skids are getting the arse. They have warn through the gelcoat on the sponsons in nice little matching squares so roller are going on. Tunnel has been resting on guide rail too so more work there. No hurry!

These pics show the damage to the tunnel gelcoat from sitting on the tunnel guide. The Teflon skids on the trailer have warn nice squares through the gelcoat on the bottom of the sponsons and you can see the crappy fix up job the last owner tried, it looks as if gelcoat was painted on without catalyst added. This will be fun, not sure what to do next, maybe fill with gelcoat and rub back. If that looks good great if not then maybe antifoul it??? Any suggestions?

any really deep stuff that needs 'bogging' take some flow coat and add talc powder (or the equiv product from the glass shop) to it until it's a nice thick consistency before adding the MEKP and apply it with a spatula. I'd be giving everything below the gunwhale rubber a number of coats of sprayed on flow coat if I were you.

P.S. I still cant get over the bare steel on the tunnel guide. That's atrocious.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    any really deep stuff that needs 'bogging' take some flow coat and add talc powder (or the equiv product from the glass shop) to it until it's a nice thick consistency before adding the MEKP and apply it with a spatula. I'd be giving everything below the gunwhale rubber a number of coats of sprayed on flow coat if I were you.

P.S. I still cant get over the bare steel on the tunnel guide. That's atrocious.
    Thanks Lovey80, nothing is really deep just the gelcoat's rubbed back smooth so I thinking just a coat of gelcoat, rub back and slowly build it up smooth then polish the lot or antifoul as this will seal it good and maybe look better than patches everywhere!
    The trailer tunnel guide had clear water hose on it but it had gone as hard as a rock, after I got it off the cat off the trailer I striped the hose off the guide!

Time for an update!
    Been awhile but I've finally got some time spent on the cat. I've rubbed back the whole hull from the gunnels down and the cat has gone from a yellow white colour back to a brilliant white but, under the right sponson I found a very rough old repair that had a crack through two layers of glass. I think it was there when it was repaired but covered with bog. Anyhow I've ground out the bog and ground back a couple of layers to remove the crack. I've reglassed the area Sara Lee style.
    I've now decided that instead of patching up the missing gelcoat and giving it a polish I'm now sanding it back and going to paint it by rolling n tipping it.
    All the bare spots are now sanded and been built up with a 2 part epoxy adhesive that fills in all the holes and scratches (Techniglue R60) awesome stuff much better the filler and bog. Still got a few low spots to fill tomorrow and hopefully undercoat on Friday.
    I've attached a few shots of the repairs and colour difference half way down the tunnel, also a shot of the Techniglue over some of the patches.

Still can't get photos the right way, bugger!

Right hull sanded back and ready for under coat, left one has final fill and yet to be sanded back.

Re: Devilcat Project Resto

Appears to be coming along fine. Good job

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Re: Devilcat Project Resto

Ready for primer!

First coat!