Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 234567891011

Thread: E-tec Gen 2 300hp

Re: E-tec Gen 2 300hp

Going back to the origin of this rather lengthy thread I had another visit to the boat doctor and more sea trails this afternoon and think the setup is now right. I already have 41.5 hours up withthe “old” setup (mark 2) and it was apparent, particularly with heavy load or unsettled sea conditions, I was still having trouble getting traction and did a big reef runin sloppy seas Sunday and did 257 k’s on 272 litres.
    Today dropped the motor another 2 notches and sea trialled another prop. Ended with the sort ofnumbers I had been hoping for and with the RX 18. RX 16 was not enough prop and produced much worse numbers. Only worry is that the RX 18 is not getting theWOT revs but I virtually never travel anywhere near WOT and while I know not getting full revs means I may be loading the engine, the performance and numbers speak for themselves.
    Nice easy plane at 3950rpm. 38 lph 45kph econ gauges bouncing between 1.1 and 1.2
    Best numbers cruise speed
    4250 rpm 41 lph 49kph econ on gauges 1.3
    Accelerated well
    4400 rpm 43 lph 51 kph econ 1.2
    4600 rpm 47 lph 53kph econ 1.1
    4800 rpm 54 lph 56kph econ 1.0
    5000 rpm 62 lph 64 kph econ 1.0
    5200 rpm 67 lph 66kph econ 1.0
    WOT only gets to 5350 92 lph 72 kph econ .8

These are the RX 18 numbers. RX 16, while getting to 5850rpm WOT was very inferior across the rev band and achieved 69 kph WOT.

I'm now done "trialling" and will take what I have got. My original Yammy set up was burning 370 litres to do my 'Sunday Run". This was back to 272 litres used last Sunday in hard running conditions. Based on todays numbers, also in fairly sloppy conditions, I will get this down to about 220 litres. As to oil burn I have used 17 litres for 41.5 hours, most of which has been running hours, only about 8 trolling and most of these hours have been running at around 4800 rpm. Until today this was the best return at 1/1 litres to kilometers in heavy sea and with full load due to a lot of slippage in the lower rev bands.

This thread may carry on for a bit now about the Minn Kota Ulterra but as far as my project to upgrade my reef boat from a 250 4 stroke Yammy to a 300 Gen 2 Etec it is now done. As at today, on my average reef trip I will run faster and save in the order of $210 in fuel per trip, offset by $60 in oil. $150 better off for around 50/70 days a year and no need to get the motor serviced, virtually every month with the hours I do. A lot of local commercial operators are watching over my shoulder who are all running big, and often multi, Yammy rigs. I think Etec are about to take the Whitsundays by storm. Nobody in business can afford to ignore the numbers when they are running outboards for 1500/2000 hours a year. If you took my numbers, times 2 big yammy's it would be, potentially, in the order of $168,000 a year in fuel saving. (2 motors. 30 LPH/engine, $1.40/l, 2000 hrs/annum), offset by $60,000 in oil but without even going to service costs.

Great project. Thanks for the amazing interest and input and maybe see you on the water one day.

kc

Good report kc and assuming good reliability a great outcome. Did you by chance throw the Rebel back on for a quick run after the engine height was sorted?

Hey KC
    Great report
    as for the prop, I have been doing the same with my new suzi 200.
    20" is to short and hits rev limiter, but a week on the reef with a 22" shows it is too long ( 5700 rpm tops)
    Talked to Yan at aust prop repairs yesterday and the 22" will be going down today for a 1 inch depitch to 21"
    Just a thought.

Cheers
    Brendan

From an engine manufacturers perspective you are overloading by not achieving WOT. You may have to do some prop work on your current.
    Cheers

Steven

Hi KC,

Glad to hear all worked out and boat is performing well.

With all these offshore trips you are doing, haven't you caught any fish?
    If yes, how come there is no fishing reports from you?
    Would love to see the catch as well

Regards

Max

Visit www.baittoplate.com.au for reports, tips and foody stuff.
    Attached Images Attached Images

well done. it has been a interesting read and i enjoyed reading your comments through the transition. A few bottle necks along the way but your enthusiasm for the g2 pushed you through these barriers.

On a personal note i experienced the same prop traps when we fitted the g2 one year ago. we trialled 7 props in total. i have a 250hp, 15 inch rebel (the rx4 props we trialled were shocking, especially the 16 inch) and average 1klm/litre and 50:1 oil burn. The numbers improve by about 20% when no trolling is involved.

Check out the facebok page i created to help people like yourself with sharing info - "Etec G2 Australia"

https://www.facebook.com/groups/135006676854112/

Thanks again for the detailed info. You have gone to a lot of effort to share your knowledge and experience.
    What day of the week is it?

Ausfish Bronze Member

Hi KC. This thread was one of the most interesting I have followed for a long time.
    Could you give us an update on how the boat is performing now, any issues etc. I'm sure there would be many people interested.
    Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish mobile app