Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: E-tec Gen 2 300hp

E-tec Gen 2 300hp

I am repowering my reef boat with a Gen 2 300 hp. Anyone had any personal experience? Have read all I can about them and seem to get rave reviews. I have upgraded from a Yammy 250 as it was a bit under powered and having to work it too hard to get the boat to perform and fuel burn was horrendous. Only down side is I sold the yammy in 2 seconds after doing the deal and then got told it was an 8 to 10 week wait. There goes the mackerel season =(

Will throw up some pics and performance numbers as it proceeds

Re: E-tec Gen 2 300hp

Oh no! Can yo jump on a mate's boat? Or are you the mate they rely on? hehe

Looking forward to seeing the etec gen 2 on there and the stats! Hopefully it performs well on your boat!

Haven't seen any "rave" reviews, except from paid adds and company advertising, don't even know anyone who owns one to give any sort of advice, that said, it will probably be great, why did you change from Yamaha?

Just read my own reply, and it kind of reads like some sort of snide remark, I can tell you, it was not intended to be that way.

I'd be curious to know what "horrendous" fuel burn for a 250hp is.

because it was an old carby 2 stroke by the sounds of it.
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

Can't comment on the 300 but if it's anything like the 200HO I had a play with briefly it should be a good thing

Bit of a thread on Continuous Wave

http://continuouswave.com/ubb/Forum4/HTML/008171.html

I have done all my "homework" on the usa sites. Also a few Australian sites have reviews. Seems to be a lot of them being used by the professional bass boats and bay skiffs and well as a few , often in twin and triple rigs on the big open blue water jobs the yanks seem to love so much. I have been a gen 1 etec owner and loved them, despite issues lots of other owners had. I always ran mine "easy", always used premium fuel and sold my 150 HO with 900 trouble free hours. I think the very fact that supply can not match demand is a pretty fair indication of the take up rate, even in Australia. 10 week waiting list!!

As to working the yammy too hard and the fuel burn. 250 came with the boat.. 235CC Triumph. Beautiful if somewhat idiosyncratic big beast of a thing, easily the best seakeeping monohull I have ever ridden in, but BIG. The somewhat unusual hull really needs to run at about 30mph to perform well. It planes at 24 MPH but it is very uncomfortable heavy plane, at 30 it sits lovely and just gets better and better right up to WOT.

The yammy, despite ever adjustment I could try, including foil, repropping , engine height adjustments needed to run at 5100 to get the boat to 30 MPH and at that speed it burns 70 litres per hour. To me that is way too much fuel, especially coming off my last etec which (and yes only a 150) gave me 27 litres per hour at similar speed on a 6 meter CC. Based on what I have found out on line I am expecting to get 30 mph out of the 300 etec at 4000 rpm and a fuel burn of 41 litres per hour, almost 1/2. The gen 2 etecs, according to fuel stats I can find, also don't seem to explode with throttle. My last etec was fine to about 3600 PRM, at 27 lph but every notch above that it loved the fuel, topping out at 56 lph at 5200. The new ones seem to have a much steadier fuel burn right through the rev range, topping out at 5800 rpm and 80 lph and even my hull should get close of 44 or 45 mph at that level. I expect the etec at WOT to run around 1.8 litres per mile and the yammy at 5100 was using 2.4 litres per mile. Don't even want to think about the yammy at wot. 89 litres and 35 mph (2.6 lpm). Apples to apples I am hoping for 30 MPH out of the etec at 1.36 lpm compared to 30 mph from the yammy at 2.33 lpm. If I get those sort of numbers I will be a very happy little fisho. I do 200 hours a year so looking at a fuel save of around $9000 a year if those are the numbers.

To clarify the yammy was a 2007 250 4 stroke with 90 hours in it when purchase and 270 when I sold it last week.

Thanks for site Scot. fascinating data set and confirming, given the size and weight of the test boat, I can expect to get my cruising speed at around 40 lph which would be remarkable compared to my Yammy.

I was blown away running my Victory next to the refitted Venom centre console I was involved with. Both running 200HO's but mine is a Gen1. Even with my boat having tabs and a foil to get a better planing attitude at 3-3500 rpm the G2 was using half the fuel I was. If you get the opportunity to try one, also consider a Rebel propeller. Not sure how it directly compares to the new RX4 but I recently got one and against the Viper (horrible consumption midrange) and the old OMC Renegade Offshore 4 blade, I have got at least an additional 10-15% better fuel economy at mid range rpm - occasionally more.

Thanks Scott. I am committed now and all I will be able to do is report on the "lived experience" of a Gen 2 300 compared to a 250 4 stroke yammy. I have just formed a view that the 250 Yammy was just not enough grunt for this boat. I was hoping someone out in Ausfish land owned one but I have locked in on the purchase and just have to wait the 9 more weeks to get it fitted. Really liked the hard data on the site you linked and this just reconfirmed everything I had already read. A fuel burn of 38.23 lph at 4000 revs. If this rev band generates my 30 mph cruise speed I will be over the moon. These seem to be the new standard in fuel economy and if the hype is true, it is the reason for a 10 week waiting list to buy one. One of the fuel burn graphs on that web link are showing a troll speed fuel burn 75% better than the competition. The test boats on that site (Ranger 24's) are similar overall size, less deadrise and 200 kgs lighter so I am not expecting the top speed (52 mph). It is all about lph and cruising speed. Interstingly WOT for both motors is 89lph so an increase in top speed of even 10% is a fuel economy of 10% and I expect a top speed increase of almost 20%.

It's a lot to do with the prop as well - my rig came with the Viper fitted and would plane "bow up" until I was over 3500 rpm - by which time I was traveling too quick for rough conditions. Under 3500 with a bow up attitude I was burning a litre every 600 metres. Fitting a foil and tabs improved this to about 1km/litre. With the Rebel, the same speed is achieved at a much lower rpm using a litre every 1.25-1.4 km depending on conditions and the foil has been removed. Just something to keep in mind if you don't get the numbers straight up.

Thanks mate,

My fit out guy is a bit short on prop expertise but overall a great local dealer. Will look for prop advice if I don't get the performance I am hoping for.

kc

E-tec Gen 2 300hp

Interesting way they extended the XL transom height to suit an UL shaft, but I guess it works.

Keep us posted on the performance and fuel burn when you get the G2 please kc.
    Quote Originally Posted by kc View Post
    ... Don't even want to think about the yammy at wot. 89 litres and 35 mph (2.6 lpm)....
    ... I do 200 hours a year so looking at a fuel save of around $9000 a year if those are the numbers.

To clarify the yammy was a 2007 250 4 stroke ...
    To save $9k a year from 200h p.a., at $1.30/L you would need to be using ~35L/h less on average, for every one of those 200h. Are you sure you will save this much kc ? (Well, it is an Origin night, so maybe beers affected my math, but don't think so ... )

I have read of some pretty frugal fuel burn figures on THT for the G2 300, but that is one hell of a predicted saving. If true we all may end up buying one .

Re the yammy, sounds like it might have had some tweaking, or more so something wrong with it! The 3.3L aren't as strong an engine as the 4.2L V6's, but something doesn't sound right with it.

At that age it would have been an F250A, and never heard of one sucking over 85L/h. I can't get mine over 84.6, same as a few mates, and from memory around 80L/h was the nominal rated consumption at 6k. The F250B may have sucked a few more L/h, because I think they tweaked a few more HP out of it, not 100% sure, but I guess it doesn't matter now regardless .

Anyway, that is a decent lump of a boat, so the G2 3-hungy should make her perform very well.

Keep us posted.

PS, never even seen a G2 round Brissy yet, except at boat shows.

https://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/site...triot_F250.pdf

https://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/site...r_685_F250.pdf