Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: E-tec Gen 2 300hp

Re: E-tec Gen 2 300hp

Bit more. Electronics in. Icon gauges, Furuno 588 as principle sounder and A series raymarine GPS as back up GPS are flat mounted. Lowrance Elite 7 stays bracket mounted above dash as principle GPS and backup sounder. New fuel lines also being run just to be on safe side. Replacing one of 2 battery bank as one was a bit soft and will use new battery as start battery and current battery 2 as house battery.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Fired up. Software updated and engine management systems installed. Sea Trials after lunch tomorrow.

Underwhelming first sea trial. Contrary to my understanding the dealer fitted an 18 inch 3 blade Rebel prop. Would have made a good milk frother but hopelessly spinning the wheels on big bertha so no point even trying to do any real numbers. An RX 4 18, as requested, is arriving tomorrow for round 2 trials. That said, even with dreadful prop slip I still got 48ks at 50 litres per hour, a 20 litre per hour better burn than the yammy. Still hoping for about 40 litres at 48 KPH. Didn't try WOT. No point.

Looks great but on expert advice this has been mounted a full inch higher than you would normally swing a motor and as such the Rebel was grabbing air and just thrashing around and not biting into hard water. Not sure why dealer supplied contrary to advice but I know propping is part of the dark arts and will see what the RX 4 does tomorrow.

Sounds like once you sort out the prop you are on a winner.

Hoping so but disappointed with yesterdays performance and know it was incorrectly propped so withholding judgement. This has been a big spend and I really want a big improvement, not just in terms of fuel burn but I want the boat to be much "crisper" and throttle responsive than it was with the 4 stroke. I will just wait and see what the day brings.

Good luck with it.

The G2 has to be crisper.......
    The blade has to bite better question is will it operate in surface piercing mode or will you need to drop the motor a tad?

Cheers
    Chimo

You got it Chimo. We will be dropping the motor a "tad" next Monday. Sea trial with the RX 4 today was a massive improvement over the rebel 3 blade but still some obvious cavitation. We ended up doing all numbers with the motor 100% trimmed down so all the numbers are with full hull drag effect. Any attempt to trim the motor resulted in loss of traction before the nose started to lift and as such the numbers are REALY encouraging. This was/is about cruising speed running and range for me. My hope is around 40 lph at 48 kph, anything better than that would be gold. Even on todays numbers I am a 125 litre fuel save on my average reef trip.

Numbers today, with a bit of prop slip and 100% down trim are 4250 RPM and fuel burn of 45 lph at 49/50kph. Also very noticeable was the planning at much lower speed and absolute lack of the need for the trim tabs. Yesterday with the rebel 3 blade I was at 4800 RPM with 58 lph and 48 kph but was really spinning the wheels so not a fair set of numbers.

I think next sea trail will nail it.

KC

That's good to hear and a GREAT START..

With all the fuel saved you should be able to take the next step and hang a second G@ 300HP and up the pitch at least 2" on each and really save some fuel / money at maybe 1000 to 1500 less revs each motor!

You might need to lift the motors back up to where they are now with the extra weight tho.

Cheeers
    Chimo

Yah, good on ya =)

PS Forgot to add that with all these fuel savings it should be easy to convince the other half, who has her new Audi anyway!

Well done KC it looks like you are on a winner. If I was a religious man I'd pray for you that the G2 is a hell of a lot better than the G1. By all reports so far it looks the case. Keen to hear your updates gonig forward.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Yep. Fingers crossed. 5 year warrantee in any case and my last G 1 was a ripper of a motor, made better IMO because I never ran it hard and always used premium fuel. Mates who I know who had Etec dramas were always looking for cheapest fuel and running motors in the high 4's/ low 5's. And Chimo I ended up getting away with a Mazda CX 5...bonus! She was talked out of the Audi by our mechanic (only cost me a slab)

KC

Glad to hear that the rumor was wrong! Have a mate down here who's wife's Audi has spent 14 weeks at the dealers so far with only 30 k on the clock. He's not happy!!

When is the next trial?

E-tec Gen 2 300hp

I can see you are thinking of how good a couple G2's would be on the SF Chimo

Very promising results today Kev, that's a big fuel saving too, and still more to come by the sounds of it once you sort the motor height out.
    Cheers
    Brendon