Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: E-tec Gen 2 300hp

Re: E-tec Gen 2 300hp

Thanks gofishin, and yes the fuel save is an overestimation and would be based on all my hours at cruise speed but I do a lot of long runs. Most of my days are close to 6 hours runs 70 plus miles each way plus a bit of running around out there,and not much trolling but even if I can save $5K a year the motor pays off in fuel save alone while still under warrantee (buy prices less what I got for the yammy). The bracket extender on the back was something I had manufactured locally tinkering with the yammy and trying to get performance, Boat came with 30 inch leg yammy which was buried deep in the water and considered one of the potential performance issues but raising it didn't help much. That extension is coming off and fitting the etec with 25 inch leg on original transom mounts. Very seldom ran the yammy WOT and got those numbers off the net.but it is more the burn at 5100 cruise speed which was my issue and this burn was confirmed time and time again at the bowser. Carrying 400 litres under the floor and didn't feel safe running without at least 50 in jerry cans doing a wide trip. A very normal day of a 140 to 150 mile round trip had me running on fumes and the refills, logged as I tinkered with props, foils and heights ran between 340 and 390 litres a trip over a run of more than 20 trips. I guess this thread will die off now. I had hoped to find an ausfisher who had one but I will bump it back up when the re-fit starts with some photos and fuel/performance numbers. I should add I have nothing against the Yammy. I have a 60 hp 4 stroke on my creek boat and it is flawless and very cheap to run. I just think the big boat is underpowered with the 250 and having to work really hard in the upper quarter of its rev band is what has lead to the economy issues.

Those plastic hulls drag. Soft riding, but not the most efficient. You will never get as good fuel burn figures as a glass boat of equivalent size and weight.

Certainly a consideration and sure you are right in respect of "drag" on the water. I get a maximum of about 37 MPH with a light load with the Yammy 250 and mates with similar size/weight glass rigs get 42 or 43 MPH so I am assuming about 15% efficiency deficit with the big plastic. Ride however is out of this world and having ridden in most of the big yank CC's, including Grady Whites, Boston Whalers, Contenders and Seafoxes as well as the old Austraian formula hulls, nothing comes even close to the Triumphs in terms of softness in sloppy sea conditions. The hull flex is liking having offroad shockies built into a boat. I am hoping for 44/45 MPH WOT with the etec. Same motor on a ranger of same length and weight is getting 52 MPH so I hope I am being realistic. Just a pain in the #$@ having to wait 8 more weeks to find out. =(. No macks for me this year
    godzilla.jpg

That is a HORSE. I recon I've landed one that long but no where near as fat as that one.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

47 kgs.....biggest one I have ever seen, let alone landed.

Quote Originally Posted by kc View Post
    Certainly a consideration and sure you are right in respect of "drag" on the water. I get a maximum of about 37 MPH with a light load with the Yammy 250 and mates with similar size/weight glass rigs get 42 or 43 MPH so I am assuming about 15% efficiency deficit with the big plastic. Ride however is out of this world and having ridden in most of the big yank CC's, including Grady Whites, Boston Whalers, Contenders and Seafoxes as well as the old Austraian formula hulls, nothing comes even close to the Triumphs in terms of softness in sloppy sea conditions. The hull flex is liking having offroad shockies built into a boat. I am hoping for 44/45 MPH WOT with the etec. Same motor on a ranger of same length and weight is getting 52 MPH so I hope I am being realistic. Just a pain in the #$@ having to wait 8 more weeks to find out. =(. No macks for me this year
    hey i checked out the triumph website and they only show models up to 18'6 now. Did they stop making the bigger ones? Yours is bigger?

Yes, stopped making them in early 2008. Company changed hands and new company did not have a big enough oven to cook them in (yes, kid you not, they are poured into a mould and baked like a cake). There are not many around, 3 or 4 in Australia and 3 for sale on USA boat sites. Good ones still sell in the US for $35 US which is about what they sold for new. They are an amazing if somewhat quirky thing to drive but seahandling is like no other monohull I have ever been in.

Some interesting performance bulletins on a similar albeit glass hull compared with twin 150 and twin 200 four stroke yammies. Done by the boat manufacturer so would hopefully be unbiased.
    http://www.scoutboats.com/boat-model...xf-performance

the G2 etecs do look like a good thing and hopefully evinrude can rid themselves of the bad reputation they have. like mercury and the "black anchor" reputation from the old days. evinrude are definitely a very innovative company, I really like the look of the new rigging and steering of the new etecs, they are definitely claiming some awesome figures, and you cant deny the 2 stroke torque is a good thing. Can anyone shed some light on what has changed internally on the G2 etecs to give this extra efficiency ? and do you think any of these changes would increase reiabilty/longevity ?

Scouts are beautiful boats. had a good look at one when I was shortlisting for my current boat but in the end, despite the idiosyncracies the Triumph, for me, won a battle between Grady White with a 200 Yammy, big Seafox with dual 115 Suzzi's and a lovely Seapro. with 250 Verado and all the "gear". Second guessing now maybe the Grady (2 years older) was also a good deal but the Triumph is hands down the best ocean going hull I have ever ridden in and the extra grunt of the 300 Etec will, I hope, deal with my performance issues. I know the old eetcs had a dud reputation but my last 150 ran for 900 trouble free hours and was still like new when I sold it. Always used premium fuel and never flogged the thing.

Keen to see the outcome of this. And also very jealous of that boat. 😬

Nice boat, good choice of donk for it too I reckon. The G2 has a LOT of torque, just what that boat needs.

That Spaniard - Godzilla indeed. WOW!

Can u flesh out tge idiosynchrocies? Is it just tge flex\drag or are there others? The g2 seems like it will be great. Interesting to see oil use and see if they have lowered the ratio for the larger engines. The g1 250 chewed the xd100

Yep that would be my biggest concern too- oil use. Owning a pair of Opti 90s, that is the biggest issue for me. A 300 G2 would be nice but only to be stuck with the same problem.