Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shorncliffe Jetty Observation

Shorncliffe Jetty Observation

G'day,

Since the Jetty was shut a few years ago, I've had a few dives along its entire length, just to see what was there.

Each year I saw a myriad of species: schools of big batfish, bream galore, tailor, the odd pair of mackerel, gar, shark, sea mullet, a amassive resident groper just past the shelter, and a heap of big sea toads.

When it re-opened in March this year, I was keen to have another look when the water cleared, to see how the fishing affected it. Got to do that today, and the difference was stark. Not one legal fish to be seen along the entire stretch. Not even any bat fish. The groper's gone. Just a lonely school of hardy heads and the odd small toadie.

Not saying there aren't any fish there anymore - have seen legal bream being caught over the past couple of months, and even a couple of squire, but to say there is a difference is an understatement. Make me wonder if it's fished out already, or if it was just an off day. Find it hard to believe the latter, as I never once saw it even close to that desolate over the years it was unused.

Also makes me wonder about the odd fish that are being caught, still, and where they go during the day, as they certainly weren't hanging around the pier.

Cuzza

Re: Shorncliffe Jetty Observation

I'd reckon it will take at least a couple of years to get the establishment you talk of.

Quote Originally Posted by PixieAU View Post
    I'd reckon it will take at least a couple of years to get the establishment you talk of.
    I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the fact that they're new pylons, as I dived there August last year when they were just put in. Still plenty of life back then.

Plus, all the structure that sits underneath, and has been there for a long time, is still all there.

Either way it's to be expected, but I didn't think it'd be that barren from the last three months of fishing.

Cuzza

Unlike us, that practise sustainable fishing, there are others that will use any methods, such as cast nets, to take all and sundry and not blink an eye.

Yes I recon the regular use of cast nets fr the jetty woud have a huge impact on fish numbers. Even if the fish weren't being netted the netting activity alone would be enough to scatter the fish that were there, IMO
    ~~~><))))*>

Have you dived it at the same time every year?

Interesting. Never thought of that/commotion from the nets.

I have actually seen a couple of Squire caught off the end in recent times, and I'd never seen that on the old pier, so it's certainly an interesting riddle to try and solve.

Cuzza

Cuzza

Absolutely, Scottar. Same time. Only ever get a really short window in winter to dive there, due to poor vis.

Cuzza

You would need to go 22km either side of the pier to see fish as there is nets used off it.
    Those rattling chains did it.

The council has installed signs banning the use of cast nets on the pier. I think the council are actually enforcing this ban.

Shorncliffe Pier net free.jpg

It's disappointing to think that marine life can be wiped out in such a short amount of time.

My son and his mates have been fishing there pretty regularly. He's 14 and a bit of skinny kid, but he's not afraid to point out to someone they are doing the wrong thing. He never comes home from a trip down there without telling a story of pointing out to someone they are taking undersized fish, for the most part they ignore him, but a few have been shamed enough to throw back their catch. He's started taking photos and actually calling the fisheries report line at times. I've spoken to him about how careful he needs to be with this, but apparently 14 year olds are indestructible....

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie123 View Post
    You would need to go 22km either side of the pier to see fish as there is nets used off it.
    Those rattling chains did it.
    This is a ridiculous comment

Without a accurate and regular observation method, drawing any conclusion as to the reason for the absence of marine life would only be a guess at best. There may be any range of reasons from subtle differences in climatic conditions to practices employed during repair work to other outside influences.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    Without a accurate and regular observation method, drawing any conclusion as to the reason for the absence of marine life would only be a guess at best. There may be any range of reasons from subtle differences in climatic conditions to practices employed during repair work to other outside influences.
    I think I'd consider this as pretty accurate. I've been every year, multiple times, since it was shut, throughout different stages of the operation, and all times yielded plenty of fish and species, except for this latest one. Nothing different than any other time I've dived. Always go around high or low, usually around the new and full moons. Westerly winds (only time vis is half decent).

Also, that big grouper was a resident - you don't see a big fish like that in the exact same spot for years in a row and then not without some major reason. I would assume some of the other species I saw are residents, too. Did they all just split for one day? Not likely.

Cuzza

Quote Originally Posted by Just_chips View Post
    This is a ridiculous comment
    I dunno. ..I laughed. ..small things amuse small minds i spose.

Hey Cuzza. It could have something to do with water temp and water clarity maybe, I dunno? very clear water down at the moment. It would be an interesting dive I reckon. let me know next time you do it and I might join you if I can borrow a tank.