Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shorncliffe Jetty Observation

Re: Shorncliffe Jetty Observation

Quote Originally Posted by cuzzamundi View Post
    I think I'd consider this as pretty accurate. I've been every year, multiple times, since it was shut, throughout different stages of the operation, and all times yielded plenty of fish and species, except for this latest one. Nothing different than any other time I've dived. Always go around high or low, usually around the new and full moons. Westerly winds (only time vis is half decent).

Also, that big grouper was a resident - you don't see a big fish like that in the exact same spot for years in a row and then not without some major reason. I would assume some of the other species I saw are residents, too. Did they all just split for one day? Not likely.

Cuzza
    No - definitely not likely they split for one day but fish populations of many species are transient. If you have only dived it once every year though there has been a "lot of water under the bridge" so to speak - especially with any construction going on. If there has been any new piles driven during the last 12 months - the noise created is quite an unpleasant one - and that's sitting inside a tug at anything up to 500 metres away - let alone if you are a species that senses water born vibration as a means of evading predators and feeding. Not saying that is the cause - just offering an example of what may have happened. As for old mate grouper - he will only hang around if he is happy with the location and there is sufficient food. If either is not up to scratch he isn't going to hang around.

As with any scientific sampling, your sample rate can produce vast differences in your conclusions. If you had dived every week for the last 12 months you may have seen a gradual decrease in fish numbers starting from when the jetty was reopened to fishing, or a gradual decrease in the number of species present or a mass exodus once a particular construction phase had started ( seen this myself with water turbidity in Northern WA).

As Si has added - the water temp in the bay apparently had a very abrupt drop a week or two ago - another possible. Given you can only dive when the water is clear, I doubt that would be it but who knows. I do know it's not the only jetty with a lack of life at the minute. I've spent a few nights at Vic Point chasing squid in recent times with very little in the way of bait or squid being seen let alone caught.

Your observation is valid - there's no fish there compared to this time last year. But as to why, without a more regular sampling timeframe and accurate records of climatic and environmental factors, fishing effort and fish counts, any guess as to the reason is exactly that.

Quote Originally Posted by scottar View Post
    No - definitely not likely they split for one day but fish populations of many species are transient. If you have only dived it once every year though there has been a "lot of water under the bridge" so to speak - especially with any construction going on. If there has been any new piles driven during the last 12 months - the noise created is quite an unpleasant one - and that's sitting inside a tug at anything up to 500 metres away - let alone if you are a species that senses water born vibration as a means of evading predators and feeding. Not saying that is the cause - just offering an example of what may have happened. As for old mate grouper - he will only hang around if he is happy with the location and there is sufficient food. If either is not up to scratch he isn't going to hang around.

As with any scientific sampling, your sample rate can produce vast differences in your conclusions. If you had dived every week for the last 12 months you may have seen a gradual decrease in fish numbers starting from when the jetty was reopened to fishing, or a gradual decrease in the number of species present or a mass exodus once a particular construction phase had started ( seen this myself with water turbidity in Northern WA).

As Si has added - the water temp in the bay apparently had a very abrupt drop a week or two ago - another possible. Given you can only dive when the water is clear, I doubt that would be it but who knows. I do know it's not the only jetty with a lack of life at the minute. I've spent a few nights at Vic Point chasing squid in recent times with very little in the way of bait or squid being seen let alone caught.

Your observation is valid - there's no fish there compared to this time last year. But as to why, without a more regular sampling timeframe and accurate records of climatic and environmental factors, fishing effort and fish counts, any guess as to the reason is exactly that.
    Definitely see what you're saying re. the inconclusive result due to not many dives. Each year prior I've dived at least half a dozen times, and always plenty of life. Yeah, we could have a number of possible reasons at hand, but I'm inclined to think it's the jetty re-opening, which is to be expected anyway. People are still catching fish off there, so maybe there are far less, and those that do get caught only come at certain times.

Either way I personally still think the re-opening is the cause of the dramatic decline. And yeah, the groper isn't gonna stick around if there's no food at hand.

Interesting stuff either way.

I will say, though, that some of the reefs off Redcliffe have also been very barren this year, compared to the last dozen. Although, last year was bad, too, so I don't think that's related to the Shorncliffe situation.

Cuzza

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Hey Cuzza. It could have something to do with water temp and water clarity maybe, I dunno? very clear water down at the moment. It would be an interesting dive I reckon. let me know next time you do it and I might join you if I can borrow a tank.
    I'm not on scuba, mate. Freedive - only 5 metres up the end. I reckon unless you wanna fossick for old glass bottles it'd be pretty uneventful for you. I'd be going over to the reefs in front of Redcliffe - much more life, but still, even there has been barren-ish the last couple of years.

Cuzza

Fish are not dumb, they learn from events......
    I suspect there was minimal bait on your last dive, Redcliffe is suffering badly with a lack of bait currently.
    The out of season flush three weeks ago may have something to do with this as well.
    Jack.

Screen Shot 2016-07-07 at 6.49.14 PM.jpg

went there a few weeks ago and I caught a few small fish i believe they were pearl perch and my girlfriend caught 3 decent sized bream. just fishing with mullet. One guy up the end caught a huge fish looked like a tuna of some kind from a distance looked about a 1m in length, I believe he was using live bait. A few tailor were also caught by other people. I returned the next night and not one person caught anything the entire night. so I got no idea whats up it was practically the same conditions.

thats my two cents,

darcy