Thread: Caloundra Wide Trag and Snapper

Caloundra Wide Trag and Snapper

My mate and I did an overnighter on Caloundra Wide on Saturday night. The weather on Saturday was perfect and we headed north from Scarborough harbor to my Trag spot at Caloundra wide arriving just as the sun fell below the horizon.
    We had fish fish on the screen and first drop I dropped a Trag and my mate landed one in the 60's. Next drop he gets another and my Pillie doesn't even get a touch. He's full of confidence at this point and giving me a bit of curry when my rod loads up and I'm on. This was no Trag as the 10-15kg live fiber was loaded up and line was peeling off the Tld 20 loaded with 30lb braid. I levered up the drag and started to get some line back. It was a solid fight and was worried it may be a shark. I was over the moon when I finally got a glimpse of the fish and saw the Colour red. I had nailed an 87cm snapper.
    My new PB. We took a couple of quick photos and got the baits back down into the same mark. We filled out bag of Trag pretty quick and got a few more Squire around the 40cm mark.
    We moved away from that mark after bagging out on Trag as they don't release well but couldn't find any other fish so we called it a night. We dropped the anchor and had a bite to eat while a whale circled us and sang to us.
    We woke up early Sunday morning to a very rocky boat as the wind had picked up and it was very choppy. We managed to get a couple of squire and a pearlie before calling it and heading for home as I was a bit sea sick. We stopped briefly at Hutchies and I was listening to another whale singing while I was lying in the cabin catching up on some sleep. It surfaced at the back of the boat so we pulled the lines in and headed for home across a flat bay.

Plastics fantastic but bait is better.

Re: Caloundra Wide Trag and Snapper

nice one mate well done. How long does it take you to motor from Redcliffe to Caloundra?

Re: Caloundra Wide Trag and Snapper

Not sure mate. I don't fish there often. I'd say it was over an hour.