Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    Best Winter Whiting baits

    Hi,
    How's this for an idea!
    Buy a squid tube from the fish shop and slice it into strips for Wintery baits?
    That way you would get tons of worm type, easily thread-able baits out of 1 tube.
    Anyone done it or have a better option?
    The squid you buy from a bait shop is messy rubbish, and usually most of it gets thrown out anyway.
    You could soak this stuff in Tuna oil, keep it in a plastic container in the freezer and take what you need for a day on the Bay.
    Or am I bonkers???? Don't go there.......
    Tim

  2. #2

    Re: Best Winter Whiting baits

    Try red food colouring instead of tuna oil...
    Kids who Hunt and Fish, Don't Deal and Steal.

  3. #3

    Re: Best Winter Whiting baits

    I have done it but have found that they don't like it as much as those California calamari you get in the blue boxes they don't make a mess like other squids.

  4. #4

    Re: Best Winter Whiting baits

    Beach worms work well. Went and pulled some from surfers paradise on Saturday and turned them into winter whiting yesterday. They seemed to love them!

  5. #5

    Re: Best Winter Whiting baits

    Take a herring jig and cut it in half so it has two to three jigs left on it, slice squid into little tentacle size strips and feed them onto the little jig hooks. Drift over the banks that hold the whiting with a small ball sinker at the bottom paternoster style. When they are thick you'll get triple hook ups with the bottom two taken most often.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

  6. #6

    Re: Best Winter Whiting baits

    Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post
    Take a herring jig and cut it in half so it has two to three jigs left on it, slice squid into little tentacle size strips and feed them onto the little jig hooks. Drift over the banks that hold the whiting with a small ball sinker at the bottom paternoster style. When they are thick you'll get triple hook ups with the bottom two taken most often.
    I agree. Bait jigs and small piece of squid

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us